DIY Air Conditioning

hlv1993

I'm a first timer so here's my story --
I live in south Texas and over the past couple weeks my air conditioning was slowling getting LESS cold. Finally yesterday it was just blowing sweltering hot air (is sweltering a word?). My dad has been a mechanic for Honda for over 25 years and after consulting him and researching online I figured it just needed to be recharged.
I took my 92' Civic, which was put together by hand, to Good Year and the manager told me he could not physically check the pressure in my A/C system because it hadn't been retrofitted BUT that he could retrofit it, fill it with freon and oil for $250!
Consulted my dad again... he said negotiate with him and see if he'll do it for $100. If not, walk away. Needless to say he wouldn't negotiate at all. (Understandable cuz he has labor, OH, parts blah blah).

SO... I went to Auto Zone and bought the retrofit kit, the freon with a reusable gauge/hose attached, AND the oil all for $60. And with some guidance of my dad over the phone I filled my little car up myself and now it's ice cold!

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool story. I thought this thread was going to have pictures and instructions for DIY a/c

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
^^ Forgot to mention that. I was expecting like a pop can hanging off the front bumper with a hose attached and strung in through the window or something for "ram air" LOL

hlv1993

I know! I was regretting not taking more pictures when I was doing it but i took a few of parts and such. I will have to upload later when I get to my laptop.

hlv1993

No, but seriously, :welcome:. Post pics!
SOOOOOZ i'm having a hard time figuring out how to upload photos ha ha ha :???:

This is the before.. I have no idea where the cap to it went

This is the Retrofit Kit I bought.. It came with three parts but I only used the bigger high side one.

The Freon & Oil I bought. My car holds 22 oz and this can was 18. The gauge and hose was reusable.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After Putting the Retrofit part on it.

Idk if these are the kinda pictures you guys are looking for:?: :shock: Let me know if you want different pics :woot:

Last edited:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
So that's it? Just put a fitting in there and fillr' up? I was expecting bloody knuckles and a bunch of empty beers.... LOL Nice work!

hlv1993

So that's it? Just put a fitting in there and fillr' up? I was expecting bloody knuckles and a bunch of empty beers.... LOL Nice work!
lmao yes! Thank you. It took me all of 20 min which I figure is a lot since it was my first time. Can you believe the shop wanted to charge me for 2 hours of labor? I had a few bug bites and rock indents on my knees but other than that it was quick and painless

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for starters, if your ac got warmer and warmer over the past few weeks, then you have a major leak

second, you probably only have about 12oz in your ac system and not 22oz. those piece of s**t cans leave about half to a third of refrigerant left in the can. probably didnt put in the proper amount of oil either

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for starters, if your ac got warmer and warmer over the past few weeks, then you have a major leak

second, you probably only have about 12oz in your ac system and not 22oz. those piece of s*** cans leave about half to a third of refrigerant left in the can. probably didnt put in the proper amount of oil either

"You little bastard, you did it wrong!"

:lol:

RonJ

Banned
Didn't you also vacuum the system and replace the receiver/dryer prior to adding the refrigerant? Otherwise, there's air and water in the system = bad.

And by the way, there's more to a proper R12 --> R134a conversion than replacing the low side fitting. This will probably not turn out well in the long run.