DIY Air Conditioning

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Didn't you also vacuum the system and replace the receiver/dryer prior to adding the refrigerant? Otherwise, there's air and water in the system = bad.

And by the way, there's more to a proper R12 --> R134a conversion than replacing the low side fitting. This will probably not turn out well in the long run.
:thumbs up

and you didnt solve the reason you lost refrigerant to begin with

hlv1993

for starters, if your ac got warmer and warmer over the past few weeks, then you have a major leak

second, you probably only have about 12oz in your ac system and not 22oz. those piece of s*** cans leave about half to a third of refrigerant left in the can. probably didnt put in the proper amount of oil either
I do have a leak somewhere. But i've had a small leak for about a year and a half. If my A/C was working fine until these past fews weeks I would say it's nothing major.

Didn't you also vacuum the system and replace the receiver/dryer prior to adding the refrigerant? Otherwise, there's air and water in the system = bad.

And by the way, there's more to a proper R12 --> R134a conversion than replacing the low side fitting. This will probably not turn out well in the long run.
Dude tell me about it. I have fears of my car exploding lol jk but you know it works for the moment and until my dad or another certified tech can look at it i don't care

:thumbs up

and you didnt solve the reason you lost refrigerant to begin with
However I appreciate these comments cuz it gives me an idea of what could happen or what more I need to do. Basically I just emptied all the R12 out by pressing the needle down. not necessarily the best but I made sure the pressure was 0 before I put the R134a in it... :?:

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do have a leak somewhere. But i've had a small leak for about a year and a half. If my A/C was working fine until these past fews weeks I would say it's nothing major.
I guarantee that leak is why your AC stopped being effective. If you don't fix that leak all you are doing is throwing money away. Also the dryer should be replaced when you do a conversion. You half ass something like this you get half ass results.

hlv1993

I guarantee that leak is why your AC stopped being effective. If you don't fix that leak all you are doing is throwing money away. Also the dryer should be replaced when you do a conversion. You half ass something like this you get half ass results.
We'll see

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
probably have a worn o ring

leaking r-12 is a federal offence and you have to be ase certified to handle it

it may kinda work, but it was done completely wrong and your system is not even half its efficiency, though you can fill a system at home without a big fancy machine properly. need a tank, gauges, scale, heater blanket, vacuum pump

hlv1993

probably have a worn o ring

leaking r-12 is a federal offence and you have to be ase certified to handle it

it may kinda work, but it was done completely wrong and your system is not even half its efficiency, though you can fill a system at home without a big fancy machine properly. need a tank, gauges, scale, heater blanket, vacuum pump
This is a DIY thread so if you have a problem with the fact that i DID IT MYSELF then hop off pls

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is a DIY thread so if you have a problem with the fact that i DID IT MYSELF then hop off pls
He is also just trying to help you and give you more advice. Don't post expecting there not to be criticism. You yourself said that you no tech/expert whatever it is. And half of these guys are.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just because you put DIY in the title, doesn't make it so.

He is trying to help you DO IT CORRECTLY. I guarantee you that the way you did it won't last. If you didn't fix the leak, it is just going to leak back out. It's common sense...:roll:

Those home kits are a TEMPORARY solution.

At work we fix AC problems constantly from guys that try to do this stuff at home. There is a reason it is mandatory to replace the dryer and to evacuate the system before doing the conversion. No letting the freon out into the air isn't the correct or effective way to evacuate the system. It's also highly illegal.

Last edited:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He is also just trying to help you and give you more advice. Don't post expecting there not to be criticism. You yourself said that you no tech/expert whatever it is. And half of these guys are.
exactly, im ASE certified in all 8 areas and a 9th in handling refrigerant so i can legally buy r12

hlv1993

Just because you put DIY in the title, doesn't make it so.

He is trying to help you DO IT CORRECTLY. I guarantee you that the way you did it won't last. If you didn't fix the leak, it is just going to leak back out. It's common sense...:roll:

Those home kits are a TEMPORARY solution.

At work we fix AC problems constantly from guys that try to do this stuff at home. There is a reason it is mandatory to replace the dryer and to evacuate the system before doing the conversion. No letting the freon out into the air isn't the correct or effective way to evacuate the system. It's also highly illegal.
I was looking for a temp solution simply for the fact that nearly $300 is outrageous especially for my bank account. I'm sorry that I didn't do it completely correctly but I already did it and it works (YES I KNOW FOR NOW). Obviously it's probably gonna have to be replaced in the long run but my car is hella old so it needed to be replaced anyway. I just did this because it's 100 degrees here and by the time I get in my car at 5 pm it's way hotter in there even when the windows have been cracked all day. It was unpleasent so I did what was convenient and least expensive for me.

I'm aware of the illegality of it. I don't know precisely where my leak was coming from. It might not even be from my A/C. Up until a few days ago all I knew how to do was put gas and check my oil and transmission fluid. sorry i'm such a n00b

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Hey man, i'm with you. Temp fix it now, SOLVE it later (if you intend to solve it anyway). San Antonio is HOOOOOT! I'd put a squirrel in a wheel under my hood for a temp fix if it meant having some AC in the Texas heat! Good Lord it's HOT!

hlv1993

Hey man, i'm with you. Temp fix it now, SOLVE it later (if you intend to solve it anyway). San Antonio is HOOOOOT! I'd put a squirrel in a wheel under my hood for a temp fix if it meant having some AC in the Texas heat! Good Lord it's HOT!
:worthy: thank you