DIY: Installing a headlights-on reminder buzzer in 88-95 Civics

liquidfusion

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My DX didn't come with a headlight buzzer (that makes a buzzing noise when you take the keys out of the ignition and your headlights are still on), so after leaving my lights on all day and having to get some people to help me push start my Civic, I decided to make my own in order to avoid having to go through all that again. All you need to do this mod is one little part from Radioshack called a "12VDC Piezo Buzzer", it is a nickel-sized black circular box with two red/black wires coming out of it, and should only run you $2-3.

First, you need to locate the fuse box. On Civics, it is located on the bottom left side of the driver-side dash, and has a little door that folds down telling you what all the fuses are. Looking at this, what you need to do is locate the fuse for the Taillights/License Lights/Instrument Lights (or something to that effect). Take this fuse out, and insert the red positive wire into one of the two holes where the fuse contacts, and then stick the fuse back into its slot, holding the red wire in with the fuse. Next, locate the Rear Defroster Relay fuse, and remove it. Insert the black negative wire in with this fuse. I used 3m tape to attach it to the bottom of the fuse box, but you can use velcro, duct tape, or whatever to hold it there. Here is a link to the Radioshack website showing the part needed for this mod:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=273-059

bachdog

5+ Year Member
Why did you connect the black negative wire to the rear defroster? Is it because the rear defroster automatically goes off when you shut off the engine? Could you attach the black wire to ground?

moltar

5+ Year Member
This is awesome. It took me literally 5 minutes to do this. And the buzzer is very loud too, so I can probably hear it even if the door is shut =)

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just did this today, look like 5 min and works great

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cool diy, for those who are having trouble finding the rear defroster relay fuse... its labeled as "rr def rly" on the fuse box panel
i had to take a second look to find it

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
This is awesome. It took me literally 5 minutes to do this. And the buzzer is very loud too, so I can probably hear it even if the door is shut =)
the buzzer normally stops when the door closes anyway...

tyfude

5+ Year Member
I killed my battery three times in the last six months! I went to my local Radio Shack and Viola! Three dollars, three minutes, works perfect! Thanks for the tip!

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can also buy them on ebay for 6 bucks and not mess with the rear defroster, fuses or tape..

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
great info... though i'm surprised you had to get people to help you push start the car... there was a week when my starter broke and i was push starting mine every day on my own

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
great info... though i'm surprised you had to get people to help you push start the car... there was a week when my starter broke and i was push starting mine every day on my own
No kidding, After pushing it a few times, you start to find high spots in lots to park on.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In cali, your lucky to get a smile let alone a jump start. I had a 77 cougar that took a crap on me at a red light. As I pushed it up hill througfh the intersection, people were honking at me.

tyfude

5+ Year Member
I too saw the buzzer on eBay, but it is the same thing for more $. Some guy is probably just buying the buzzers from Radio Shack and then printing out instructions and selling it on eBay...

civictegfan

Honda Fanatic
5+ Year Member
How To: Headlight Reminder Buzzer.

Thanks for the info...went on my lunch break and paid about $4 for the extra loud 12v buzzer and wired it just like you said....wrapped red wire around tail/instrument lights fuse and wrapped black wire around rear defroster fuse and stuck fuses back in and works like a charm! I just used a small cable tie to attach it and that was that. Thanks....I've had the car only two weeks and left lights on like 3 times.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
GREAT how to. Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just did this today. Cost me like 3 dollars.
better to revive old threads than to make redundant duplicates =)

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
DX's dont have this feature?? My girlfriends and mine both have it.

Can this be wired up to fog lights? Ive left my fogs on several times.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
bringing this back because i just did it on my girlfriends car today.

i used a "pulsing" buzzer. it sounds a lot nicer then the standard buzzers. it actually beeps instead of a constant buzzer.

i also used a 90db buzzer and its a little louder then stock...which i think is nice.