DIY Rust free exhaust.

sarquez

5+ Year Member
What's up everyone?

It's my first DIY so hope at least it can be a good start for future DIY's (better ones also)!

Well just tought of posting an idea on exhaust rust, you know how the original rear muffler always gets down to a rusty tip, and some times even the lower part of the muffler!

Had some rust for a while on mine, and as this is my daily drive (about 2 hours drive every monday and friday to get to work and come back home),and it is a pain in the *** driving your ride with a big wide hole in the exhaust, so had an idea to work off that rust.

I removed my rear bumper, to do it so you have to follow this removal procedure:

Now down to the tools:

- You need some Rust Off liquid (I have no idea of brands you can find in the USA and other countries),
- A small brush;
- Hight temperature black spray
- Maybe you can get an exhaust tip to give a final look.

It's pretty simple, with the brush and the rust off ready, get all the rusty areas of the exhaust brushed, wait till it dries, do it again, I did my self 3 times this procedures so all the rust was gone.

This is a very important part!!! When do you know the exhaust is ready for the paint? If you touch (with the end of the brush), the exhaust and it is a bit sticky, you'll have to wait some more, it will be ready when all areas are smooth (not sticky anymore).

Now you can apply the spray paint, do it 3 coats of it, remember this has to be a high temperature paint, I used black as it gives a nice end look to it, and also the exhaust pipe is almost stealth into the tip, you can only see it with the camera flash!

After all is dry, you can place your exhaust tip, this is how mine looks:

Well it might be a lame idea to some, but it can save you some time and cash in the future.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you did a good job..

sarquez

5+ Year Member
you did a good job..
oc_civic, thanks man, that really is a good thing to hear.

By the way I did not remove the muffler, all I did was tape some old news papers around the areas that should not be painted and got to work!

:D thanks again oc!

DaOne

Nice!
i was thinking of doing mine too, since its all rusty-looking and what not lol

sarquez

5+ Year Member
Nice!
i was thinking of doing mine too, since its all rusty-looking and what not lol
DaOne, I have to say it to you... DO IT, that muffler is damn expansive, unless you have a spare one or find this at ebay, dealers will rip you off on this part! Besides it is fun to see your ride without the rear bumper, you'll go "DAMN this sh** is ugly without the bumper!". LOL. Good luck my friend