Does this work on our 5th gen cars?

CivicFloyd

5+ Year Member
I have that common problem with the bounceing needle in the speedomitor. I did a search on here with some results but nothing that really answered my question. I then gooled it and found this but i would like to know if it pertains to our 5th gen honda civic, the guy in the article said he had a 97.

-------------

If you look under the intake manifold at the rear of the engine there is a pack of wires. This pack rubs on the bottom of the intake and creates a short circuit which screws up the speedo, sets off the check engine light and gives a trouble code (if you know how to read the check engine flashes) that there is a problem with the O2 sensor, and sometimes the headlights would surge.

Just crawl under the car when it is up on stands and gently turn over the pack of wires under the intake to expose the bare wire or wires. Tape them up and away you go.

This is the original thread. http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-trucks/broken-speedometer-94-honda-civic-67712.html

-------------

-Floyd

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think this has ever been an issue with 5th gen civics to be honest. There isnt much harness under the intake manifold to actually rub against metal and short out, as it's held in place by metal clamps and bolted to certain mount points on the motor.

DOHCCivic

White EJ1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
agreed FITV but it wouldnt hurt to clean the TB n the IACV

CivicFloyd

5+ Year Member
agreed FITV but it wouldnt hurt to clean the TB n the IACV
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I am going to try to clean the FITV thanks for posting that link to the detailed "How-To...". Anyone have links for How-To clean the TB and IACV?