dohc d series in a DC4

kyral

5+ Year Member
So my friend is in the process of pulling his blown motor in his integra (dc4) and the motors valve cover looks to be that of a DOHC d series motor but his haynes repair manual said they only have B series engines.

so whats the deal is car supposed to have a d series (dohc) or did the previous owner do something crazy
or maybe im confused as to what a dohc d series actually looks like

TheEJ8

lololololololololololololololololololololol

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dc4 chassis code uses a b18b1 motor i believe which is a DOHC ( B-series) motor. D series motors come on single cam (SOHC) motors such as stock Civic Ex, Hx, Lx, Cx..basically all 92-05 civic motors except for the SI motors

kyral

5+ Year Member
Heres a pic of a motor that looks like the one in his car

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The B18B1 looks pretty similar to the ZC motor, the engine code will be stamped on the front left side of the block.

kyral

5+ Year Member
The B18B1 looks pretty similar to the ZC motor, the engine code will be stamped on the front left side of the block.
Thanks It must be a b18b1 cause theres the very defined ribs on the valve cover but instead of the head bolts (valve cover bolts w/e) being on the top of the valve cover (like the d series) they are on the outside

thanks for clearing that up ive never seen a b series with a valve cover like that before

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Thats a ZC engine, its a DOHC but its technically part of the D series family.

Its slow and old as shet.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this is the 88-91 JDM OBD0 DOHC ZC (not ours) - this one is boosted

this is our ZC with dual Weber carbs

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks to me like a DOHC ZC as well. No offense to anyone running these things, but they are notorious crap lol.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks to me like a DOHC ZC as well. No offense to anyone running these things, but they are notorious crap lol.
just curious - what do you base that statement on? - you ever had a DOHC ZC? - what makes it so bad?

FYI, has exact same bottom end (except for the higher compression domed pistons) as the SOHC D-series engines, just makes more horsepower than the SOHC engines

Thats a ZC engine, its a DOHC but its technically part of the D series family.

Its slow and old as shet.
they are all old but they are not all slow - this is our NA DOHC ZC running at Bandimere Speedway in Denver at track elevation of over 5800 ft. - would run close to a second quicker at sea level

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/jlicrx/?action=view&current=13744bandi-1.mp4

Jacoblee0123

Honestly I have a Dohc zc in my dc4, it was dang near free and I paid 300 for the shell. And even tho it has a FEW bad sensors, and dizzy is off. It hauls! Haha

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ true

they have a higher output on the same block as the rest of the D-series family... I like seeing ZC builds honestly.

If I had a mild boost daily ED chassis, I would rock the crap out of a ZC.