Drastic MPG drop ?

MP1975

Hello all,

96 Ex coupe, have owned it approx 2 months now and have gotten between 32 and 35 MPG every time I full up.
This morning I full up the tank and I only have 27 MPG ? Seems pretty drastic to me.

The car is running as it has always been, I only use 2 different gas stations to buy gas and my style of driving is totally the same. Nothing different there either.

Wondering what the first thing I should check is.

Thanks in advance.
MP.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any check engine light? The car does not run rough or idle rough at all? When was the last time it had a full tune up? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air and fuel filters? Pulling the plugs will help make sure you are getting an even burn across the board. Might be worth starting there.

MP1975

No check engine light no rough idle car is running as it has been since the time I bought it. The last tune up was either March or May but it was an "M" month of this year. I did check the plugs before I bought it and they were brand new no burn, oil, etc etc on them at all.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The check engine light DOES work though, correct? Any mods on the car?

MP1975

Yes the cel works. That was the only thing I had to do to the car when I got it. Replace 3 dash lights, cel was not one though, and the bulb where the shifter is. But yes it does work.

No mods what so ever.

MP1975

It was before I owned the car but I did see the receipt in the glove compartment.
I remember, plugs, rotor, dist cap, oil change, filter, air filter......not 100% sure about wires.

RonJ

Banned
I'm skeptical that a tune up was actually done. Post a picture of this receipt.

You don't want to guess on something this important. Do a full tune up - use the NGK spark plugs recommended for your car and Honda plug wires.

MP1975

I of course can't swear to it since I didn't get it done and I will look for the receipt.
I did take the wires off and inspect the plugs for oil, burn etc etc before I purchased the car
and I do know for sure there was no oil and the tops of teh plugs did "LOOK" new they were all bright silver.
As for the type used...I have no idea.

But if you think the remedy is as easy as replace the four plugs with the type you suggested, I have no problem
with that at all. Appreciate the help.

MP1975

The bad gas was the first things people said here but I only buy from 2 stations so that would mean they received a bad batch. Which I guess is not out of the question. The other suggestion was the air filter was damp and could be clogged with all this rain and humidity we're having. Does that hold any water ?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The bad gas was the first things people said here but I only buy from 2 stations so that would mean they received a bad batch. Which I guess is not out of the question. The other suggestion was the air filter was damp and could be clogged with all this rain and humidity we're having. Does that hold any water ?
If you think it's clogged, it will take you about 2 minutes to pop 2 clips and inspect it. If you had done a full tune up, this should have been replaced.

Do a full tune up - use the NGK spark plugs recommended for your car and Honda plug wires.
^ This.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
yes rain and humidity hold water

But seriously, it does happen to get a bad tank here and there. If you feel like the tuneup was actually done, then ride out another tank. It should be obvious if it was done or not. If you feel it wasn't done and it looks like there are old parts on the car, well you'll sleep better knowing the car is tuned up right?

MP1975

I did inspect it the air filter was / is brand new. The people here who are light years ahead of me in car knowledge "SUGGESTED" with all the rain and humidity we are having it may be clogged / damp. I do plan on
looking at it as soon as I can to feel it and see if it's damp in any way.

I'm pulling a plug also just to see what type they are. Cheap enough to replace and peace of mind is worth much more.

All great help and a place for me to start. Hopefully just bad gas but had to ask people who know.

Last edited by a moderator:

MP1975

Loud and clear Ron. Oil change the same day then I know for sure when everything was done.

NGK V Power Spark Plug (ZFR5F-11)

4 Of these. Advance auto says it's an exact fit.

MP1975

Update :

Tune up almost complete.Bought a BWD Fuel Filter but have no socket deep enough to get last screw out.

Replaced ;

Rotor - BWD
Dist Cap . BWD
Plugs - NGK V
Wires - NGK Blues
Air Filter - Purolator A35150

One odd thing, every time I've replaced an air filter it was an exact match. The filter I took out was half the depth of the new one, which Advanced Auto said was an exact match, there is no name on the old filter
only CFA1030 Made in China. Figured I would throw that out there.

I'll know MPG in a few days and will post results.

Again thanks to all for the help.
MP.

And for shits and giggles I asked them to pull the codes. There were none. I know the light bulb works cause when I turn on the ignition I see it but exactly how each part relays the information to the CPU, Clueless. Now I have peace of mind my CEL works.

RonJ

Banned
.Bought a BWD Fuel Filter but have no socket deep enough to get last screw out.
Post pictures.

One odd thing, every time I've replaced an air filter it was an exact match. The filter I took out was half the depth of the new one, which Advanced Auto said was an exact match, there is no name on the old filter
only CFA1030 Made in China. Figured I would throw that out there.
Return it. Sounds like a behind the counter goof up.

MP1975

Post pictures of my engine ? Old parts , new parts ?

The new air filter fits in the box exactly the old one swims in it. What part number should I be using ? According to Advanced Auto that was an EXACT FIT.

RonJ

Banned
Post pictures of my engine ? Old parts , new parts ?
I quoted what the subject of the pictures should be.

The new air filter fits in the box exactly the old one swims in it. What part number should I be using ? According to Advanced Auto that was an EXACT FIT.
Oh, so you think the old one may not be the right one.