driver window motor not working

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1996 civic hx

ok so my driver window quit working about 4 months ago and i have been ok with it since its winter but now i need it fixed. i replaced the motor about 8 months ago and every now and then my window would work off and on but now just doesnt work at all.

i have checked fuse 10,11 and 24 and there all good. i have checked for battery voltage at the Blu/Blk and Grn/Blk and i get 12 volts, i have checked the motor plug on the driver door for voltage when i press the switch and i am getting 12 volts on the Red/Yel when pressing the switch one way and 12 volts on Red/Blu when pressing the switch the other way an I've got continuity from the grounds in the plug to the door.

i tested the plug going to the motor a couple weeks ago and noticed the 12 volts so i figured the motor had gone bad well i went to autozone this weekend and warrantied my window motor and put the new one back in and it still doesnt work. i have tried supplying 12 volts to the motor but it wont go up or down, idk maybe im doing it wrong but the Fsm says pin #1 - and pin #2 + makes the window go up but it didnt work and i dont know what the other two pins in the driver motor are for

i have also tried the civic master switch input test by connecting Blu/blk to Red/Yel and Red/Blu to Blk and then turn the key on and its supposed to make the motor go down but it doesnt. my passenger window works fine , could a relay maybe make one side work and not the other?

i need help diagnosing this window before i murder something haha. well thanks for any help guys it would be much appreciated

Spideyman20015

Did you just replace the motor? Or the Regulator WITH the motor?

I just replaced both of my front windows Regulators w/ motor and now they work perfect. My driver side would role up but be completly of track to the point where the window would stick out at an angle when it was rolled up all the way. My passenger side would just roll up at a record breaking low speed. Only cost me $105 for my 1996 Civic LX on JCwhitney

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nope my regulator is fine, i have replaced it when i first bought the car with an ebay reg which lasted a year then last year i replaced it again with oem honda regulator. my windows never go off track, it is something electrical and yes i bought a new motor months ago then when it quit working last week i went and exchanged it under warranty and it didnt fix the problem

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Did you just replace the motor? Or the Regulator WITH the motor?

I just replaced both of my front windows Regulators w/ motor and now they work perfect. My driver side would role up but be completly of track to the point where the window would stick out at an angle when it was rolled up all the way. My passenger side would just roll up at a record breaking low speed. Only cost me $105 for my 1996 Civic LX on JCwhitney
The window tracks on this year are defective! Ive replaced my regulator twice already cuz they bend when they come off track.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you thoroughly checked the run channels for a pinch and/or heavy dirt? If its heavily dirty, you should consider using Shin-etzu grease to lube the tracks after cleaning.

Also, have you tested the motor uninstalled to ensure its functioning properly? If so, then it must be something impeding the path through which the glass slides.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it is something to do with electrical or the motor. i have tested the passenger side before with no problems but im not sure if im doing it right on the driver side. there is a red,yellow,blue and black wire and the fsm says apply voltage to pin 1 and 2 which are red and yellow but im not sure if its saying apply + to red and - to black or + to red and - to yellow to move the motor