eBay Coil Overs

kynetguy

5+ Year Member
First, i have Ground COntrols on the way, so don't start to slam me, though it is going to be hard to resist the tempation. . .

Everyone says "Dont buy ebay crap, do it right."

As I was shoping for best prices and looking on ebay, there are tons of coil over kits for like 19.95 to 24.95 for civics. Everyone says don't buy them.

Why? Has anyone actually ran them? I know, anyone who has, probably will not admit it in fear of flames. Just say "My cheap ass cousin bought some after I advised him not to. . ."

I was wondering what was wrong with them for like a daily driver, no tracked car. ANyone have any real expirience other than interweb legend and myth?

str8venom99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know people that have them with no problems but i have heard some things about the sleeve acutually splitting. they dont have the quality of better brands. they ride hard as s**t but usually everyone i know has them on stock struts. dont know how they ride wit a good performance strut.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
had a fomer co-worker that bought them for his crx and i drove it once and it was a rough drive. it was bouncy and it hit hard.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well really anything will be bouncy unless you get some nice struts.. i have skunk 2 springs and its bouncy, idk how much bouncier than ebay but.. i think for the money i spent it was a great deal.. id spend your money on some better springs/coilovers

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
some1 on these forums has a pic of the sleeves splitting in half. if ur gunna shop ebay for best pricing, only consider name brands.
im not ashamed to say that every part on my car came from ebay. but not $1 was put towards no name parts

JMan8108

SOHC VTEC SON!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have generic ebay coilovers and struts on my car from the previous owner. It rides absolutely horrible, but I can adjust it how I want, they haven't cracked or broken, and they keep their set height pretty well. Im so sick of the ride quality im doing a complete suspension overhaul come spring/summer.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have them and they are very bouncy on stock shocks. They aren't as bad on some better shocks but...the bounce is still there. When i redo my suspension, I'm really going to try to go for one piece. My buddy has some omni's and I never thought a lowered civic could ride so good.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have a set....and it rides alright...ill admit it doesnt ride like stock but its not that bad like everyone says...you just have to watch what you run over lol......but i think its definetaly worth the look......

kynetguy

5+ Year Member
Interesting feedback. Thanks. I venture to guess that all the people saving a buck on eBay springs ge a horrid ride because they cannot or will not afford themselves the name brand/quality shocks/struts to use with them. If they won't spend 250 on coilover sleeves, they darn sure aren't going to spend that much on strusts. . .or a camber kit. . ..or an allignment. . .or decent tires. . .etc etc. I bet that the problem all lies in the mentality of the concumer who chooses these parts.

I could marry some ebay springs with some AGXs or similar adjustable strut then get it properly alligned and do a back to back comparrison with some Eibach GS'd and put this to the test, but I just really don't enjoy changing springs out. I thought maybe someone else had already done it. :-)

We need a contest. A track car built from all ebay chinese knock-off/OEM parts and a similarly built car built with name brand items. Take them to the track and go. :-) That would prove quite interesting I bet.

kilas4doorsleep

all wide and outside
5+ Year Member
with ebay coilovers its kind of a hit or miss. i had ebay coil overs on a 96lx with factory struts and it was a very bouncy ride. now i have the same coilovers on a 95 dx with some agx struts and they are amazing. yes they do slam b/c they are stiff ass s**t but they dont bounce anymore. the strut really is what make the difference. i love the way my car handles and a good paved road.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My buddy had them on his Civic when he bought it. It was the bounciest ride EVER. When we went to adjust them for the winter time, the piece of s**t spring was rusted out and broke. I would never buy them after riding in a car with them.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most people who run ebay coilovers, 9/10 of them will run them with stock shocks. First off the ebay coilovers are worst as it is, pairing them up with stock shocks makes the situation worst. I've never tried running cheap coilovers on my car, but i've been in a few cars with cheap coilovers, all of which ran stock shocks. I'd say if you pair some $50 coilovers with kyb agx, illumina shocks, and etc i'm sure the ride quality would be barable. Would i do this??? NO! You get what you payed for. I've learned this lesson from buying my depo 99-00 fogs.

AgentSlim

Do Work Son
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I actually love my Depo fogs not any problems so far I've had them for over a year :what:

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I actually love my Depo fogs not any problems so far I've had them for over a year :what:
you must of got a good set then, i had to rewire my set 2 times, bulbs burned out, and my on/off switch went out 3 times. OEM FTW

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First, i have Ground COntrols on the way, so don't start to slam me, though it is going to be hard to resist the tempation. . .

Everyone says "Dont buy ebay crap, do it right."

As I was shoping for best prices and looking on ebay, there are tons of coil over kits for like 19.95 to 24.95 for civics. Everyone says don't buy them.

Why? Has anyone actually ran them? I know, anyone who has, probably will not admit it in fear of flames. Just say "My cheap ass cousin bought some after I advised him not to. . ."

I was wondering what was wrong with them for like a daily driver, no tracked car. ANyone have any real expirience other than interweb legend and myth?
I have them on now:roll: and they ride bumpey, and the only thinf wrong with mine is on one of the threaded bodys the collars are f**ked up and won't grab the threads on the coilover body :evil:

AgentSlim

Do Work Son
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you must of got a good set then, i had to rewire my set 2 times, bulbs burned out, and my on/off switch went out 3 times. OEM FTW
I've heard of that happening to quite a few people, i guess I got lucky =) so far anyway haha

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lets be honest. You never ordered any ground controls.