Effects of "drifiting"?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wear and tare on your e-brake cable. worse effects happen when you do not know how to drift and slam your car into something or spin off a mountain road and roll off a cliff.

6thGeneration

So it doesnt doing anything to the alignment or the structural integrity?

6thGeneration

No I'm not. I tried it a little tonight and it just seemed really hard on the car so I was just curious to see if I could've done any significant damage.

Autoteck21

Si/Sir
when drifting you are putting extreme amounts of force on your upper and lower control arms, ball joints, and even more on your strut/strut tower mounts, that's just to start, your steering rack while in a slide or "drift" will be put on the braking edge trying to keep your steering knuckle and wheel turned into the direction of your slide, while all this transfer of force, thrust and friction is happening your uni-body sub frame shell is twisting in opposite directions from front to rear. so long story made longer followed by a short, sweet and to the point answer... yes effects your factory or semi custom car greatly in a neg way.

6thGeneration

Haha well thanks for all of the feedback. It was in a big empty industrial parking lot and no one was around. I'm not looking to make a habit out of it.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thread cleaned. He didn't ask whether it was safe, or a good idea. He asked what effects it would have on the car. Some of you gave helpful answers. The rest of the replies were deleted. Further off topic posts will result in infractions. Moved to street / track.

bigboi98

The effects of "drifiting" a fwd car is you looking dumb and tearing something up.

Rwd is a diff story.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends man. if you're drifting on nicely paved surface i can't see why it would thro the alignment off. You can actually have the car aligned with intention to drift. In this case, the car would not be aligned as a ordinary car. Structural? depends too man, specially on the age of the car.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when drifting you are putting extreme amounts of force on your upper and lower control arms, ball joints, and even more on your strut/strut tower mounts, that's just to start, your steering rack while in a slide or "drift" will be put on the braking edge trying to keep your steering knuckle and wheel turned into the direction of your slide, while all this transfer of force, thrust and friction is happening your uni-body sub frame shell is twisting in opposite directions from front to rear. so long story made longer followed by a short, sweet and to the point answer... yes effects your factory or semi custom car greatly in a neg way.
You're waaaay over thinking this... Doing 20mph power slides in a parking lot every once in a while will not stress the car very much and won't do any severe damage. You're more likely to severly wear or damage components driving through a city with crappy roads. Believe me, I've been beating the crap out of my car racing for the past ~7 years. Still have stock, ~218k mile/17yr old upper control arms, original ball joints, original steering rack, blah blah. All perfectly fine. The body and subframes of the car will not be damaged... And surely your shocks/mounts will be fine. After all it's their JOB to absorb bumps and control movement.

The only things that will be directly negatively affected would be your tires and rear brakes. And that's just wearing them down...

But there's always hitting a curb, light pole, car, etc for being stupid...

Autoteck21

Si/Sir
OK there bro, that's why your running an almost fully upgraded suspension kit, and no sh*t the steel arm its self will hold up when referring to control arms its the bushings that 99.9% of the time go bad, just figured we on the forums had enough common sense to put one and two together, apparently not.
And to toss some more gas on that post of yours going up in flames, big difference in extorted force's when "rally racing" "street Racing" and that of true drift, hell you even said it your self

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK there bro, that's why your running an almost fully upgraded suspension kit, and no sh*t the steel arm its self will hold up when referring to control arms its the bushings that 99.9% of the time go bad, just figured we on the forums had enough common sense to put one and two together, apparently not.
And to toss some more gas on that post of yours going up in flames, big difference in extorted force's when "rally racing" "street Racing" and that of true drift, hell you even said it your self
Ummm... Did you not read that my stock controls arms are stock, ya know, original bushings and all? Yeah, bushings are fine. And that my ball joints are original... And fine... And all my other stock components, and unibody, and other junk you mentioned would be wearing. Guess I'm that .1% lol...

Yes I've upgraded a good bit of my suspension, but it it also going under waaaaay more stress than a little power slide in a parking lot. Did I NEED to upgrade that stuff? NO. I did it simply to improve the cars handling and build it for my specific class. The stock suspension would handle the stress just fine.

You're right, those parts you mentioned are under stress. BUT, they are not under any more stress throwing 20mph power slides for 15mins than if your grandmother was driving around town for a day. Like I said, you're looking way to far in to this.. I see bone stock cars take a much greater beating at tracks and walk away just fine to come back and to it over and over again.

Where did I say there's a difference between rally, street and drift?? lol. Um duh, of course there is. But is any of that going on here? Nope. FWD can't drift.. They can surely hang the tail out, but it's not a real drift. This guy isn't doing 90mph drifts for hundreds of feet...

Stop while you're ahead buddy. You're not making any valid points.

Last edited:

Autoteck21

Si/Sir
"And surely your shocks/mounts will be fine. After all it's their JOB to absorb bumps and control movement" ya for a vertical motion not a horizontal, and to clear up one last thing the slower the drift the less of the lift, the more of a tire surface contact which means.... more drag a friction, or you know us drifters just like to up grade our factory suspensions for the hell of it.

Autoteck21

Si/Sir
My bad is this not your writing, and if you read instead of thinking you know drift just because you "rally" or race street tracks, then you should have understood its not the steel arm that goes bad (unless bent) but that's rare, its the bushings.
what ever though if you want to get your info from him well sorry in advanced i ran a 240sx se in line 2.4L 2 step for a good while, i know my sh*t, so hit me up if in need.

Suspension, brakes & Wheels:
Custom valved Koni shocks built and dyno tested by TrueChoice
Ground Control Coilovers with custom rates (650lbs/in front, 800lbs/in rear)
Ground Control extended top hats all around
BomzRacing front strut bar
BomzRacing rear strut bar
BomzRacing front lower tie bar
Energy Suspension front swaybar endlinks
Energy Suspension front lower control arm bushings
Energy Suspension Steering Rack & Pinion bushings
Function 7 rear lower control arms
Function 7 adjustable rear swaybar endlinks
JDM ITR 22mm rear sway bar
Prothane polyurethane rear swaybar bushings
Beaks Subframe Kit
Beaks rear lower tie bar
Shims for rear camber adjusterment
Hawk HP+ front brake pads
Powerslot slotted front rotors
Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines all around
Falken Hanabi wheels 15x7 +42 painted black with yellow lip
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 205/50R15 tires for AutoX/Track
Nippon Racing 15x6.5 +35 TE-37 knockoffs gold with polished lip for street use
Yokohama S.Drive 195/50R15 for street use
Work aluminum lightweight lug nuts

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"And surely your shocks/mounts will be fine. After all it's their JOB to absorb bumps and control movement" ya for a vertical motion not a horizontal, and to clear up one last thing the slower the drift the less of the lift, the more of a tire surface contact which means.... more drag a friction, or you know us drifters just like to up grade our factory suspensions for the hell of it.
o...m...g... "Vertical motion not a horizontal".. WHAT? Wait, using your logic, that means the suspension on every car out there cannot handle the forces exerted laterally. BUT WAIT! Every car out there can turn! Taking on lateral forces! Wow... common dude. This shows me you don't even understand the very basics of suspension geometry.

My bad is this not your writing, and if you read instead of thinking you know drift just because you "rally" or race street tracks, then you should have understood its not the steel arm that goes bad (unless bent) but that's rare, its the bushings.
what ever though if you want to get your info from him well sorry in advanced i ran a 240sx se in line 2.4L 2 step for a good while, i know my sh*t, so hit me up if in need.
Did I not say you were right that the car IS under stress(it's obviously not just static)? But, that it is under no more stress than driving around on terrible roads? The bushings are stressed, but they will not tear/shread doing a couple little power slides...

So you had a 240... and that proves what? I guess every beat up, half-assed 240 I see on the street I should bow down to because clearly the people who own them know what they are doing and talking about and are also "drift kings" :roll:

Thanks for sharing my mod list. Not sure why that has any meaning here though...