HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Trekk

Registered VIP
Hoses about. 60k miles. If they are swollen, or hard they need to be changed.
The flush it's self is best done with the stat removed, drain out as much coolant as you can, refill the system with distilled water then run the car with the heater on max settings. Drain and refill again with distilled water till it's clear, then put a new stat back in it, drain the system and add coolant. 50/50 is the most common mix, but that really depends on where you live. If you live in a frozen hell 50/50 might not cut it.
Don't forget to get a new radiator cap.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How much coolant would I need to flush both the radiator & engine block? 2 or 3 bottles? I know one bottle will suffice for the radiator alone.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Flush everything with distilled water, you can get it at your local food stores for like $1.00 or less a gallon, I normally buy a few. Then.... Depending on how anal you are. You can just drain out as much of the water as you can and refill with 50/50 which tbh I don't know how much it would take. Or buy 100% antifreeze which is normally a better buy, then mix it yourself. One bottle of 100% becomes 2 gallons which should be plenty. Again if you are super picky or live in an area with extreme cold you can purchase antifreeze testers. After the car has been run and purged with the new coolant you can test a sample to see what your mix ratio is.

Normally 50/50 is the best all around. If you are in the desert sometimes more water can help on 100+ deg days. However the mix doesn't need to be spot on unless you are subject to large temp changes.