EK9 w/ B18C sell or keep?

Tatsunoko

hey guys i have a civic with a b18c1 under the hood and i was wondering if its worth keeping.
its registered out of state and the tags are past due.
how much do i have to drop to have it "California" legal.
im pretty new to this site.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
hey guys i have a civic with a b18c1 under the hood and i was wondering if its worth keeping.
its registered out of state and the tags are past due.
how much do i have to drop to have it "California" legal.
im pretty new to this site.
Apart from being new how much do you know about cars?
Also, being in California myself....I can say that it is your decision whether it is worth it to you or note. There is a lot of paperwork to get done just to register. You also cannot register unless you pass emissions standards. So all those applications would have to be 100% in good shape. During reg. you have to provide the car insurance (any cheap in surance will do if you don't care) All in all, it can take anywhere from 2-3 days to a week to have everything set and done...if not longer.

If you really want it, this isn't really a problem, but if you aren't into all the paperwork and wait, then you should probably sell and get one that is at least already registered here. This will cut some time and paperwork but you still have to insure and emissions test it.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I can't believe how hard it is to register cars in California. I've never had to experience that or SMOG/emission tests before. Got any pics of the car? How much have you invested in it? I always thought you couldn't pass the test with a motor not from your year/make.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I can't believe how hard it is to register cars in California. I've never had to experience that or SMOG/emission tests before. Got any pics of the car? How much have you invested in it? I always thought you couldn't pass the test with a motor not from your year/make.
Swaps are completely legal here. they are considered a direct replacement for your model vehicle, except the swap must be done properly and to specification.

1) they cannot be from a previous year of your car (engine cant be older than chasis, but in this case the b series was offered for the si versions so can go unnoticed)
2)Any and all equipment from the donor must be swapped over (ie all emissions+ wiring and ecu if your are convertining 0bd1 to 2)
3)It must be done Cleanly, meaning that you cant have wiring all over the place. It has to be exactly placed as the stock or how it was from the car it came from. If there are any relocations you have to provide a reason why and diagrams.
4)You have to pass the smog emissions and go through a defect check up (a test to see if everything is mechanically sound ). Depending on the inspector you might have to remove any aftermarket parts that increase emission, or remove fart cans if over the allowed decibel. And then replace accordingly to oem.

You can certainly pass, but its stringent on detail here. But there is a way around it. If you do a minor swap, you don't have to let them know. you just have to pass emissions. But if you are doing a bigger swap like a 2jzgte into 240sx, smog places will surely recognize you and so will officers if they check under the hood. Just because they notice it doesn't mean you will get into any trouble, it's still legal. But since it is a big swap, you are supposed to inform B.a.r. to have it approved. Most of the inspectors here are really cool about things if you are in good standing with them and will only car about emissions and its safe performance.

You can be fined for using the swap unapproved, but most officers wont do it. And if you say that you just had it installed and are testing it so that you can present it to B.A.R. they wont fine you at all...some even begin to converse and ask questions out of curiosity just because people rarely do it these days (big swaps like that anyways) But they do have a booklet with every engine that was never introduced in the U.S. meaning IE illegal engine booklet. They were all required to get these because of kids putting rb26detts and sr20dets in there cars. It has a picture of each engine and their engine code.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Interesting. I have a buddy of mine living in CA and he kept his North Dakota drivers license for several years after moving there just to avoid this very thing. He drove a pretty heavily modified Eagle Talon but once it was sold, he finally got a CA license and now jumps through hoops like everyone else there. If I ever move to a state that does the same, i'll probably try and keep my AK license for that same reason. I like being able to register any car in any condition in 10 minutes with out passing any tests.

... Anyway, good luck OP! Sounds like a sweet car.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Interesting. I have a buddy of mine living in CA and he kept his North Dakota drivers license for several years after moving there just to avoid this very thing. He drove a pretty heavily modified Eagle Talon but once it was sold, he finally got a CA license and now jumps through hoops like everyone else there. If I ever move to a state that does the same, i'll probably try and keep my AK license for that same reason. I like being able to register any car in any condition in 10 minutes with out passing any tests.

... Anyway, good luck OP! Sounds like a sweet car.
Im actually not that surprised because officers are very "laid back" on that stuff but technically 3 days to a week after arrival you must apply for a temporary CA drivers license. They will ask you how long your stay will be and will place an expiration date on there. This doesn't mean that you have to register your car or not drive it because you have the plans to return from where you cam. But if you decide to stay, then you do.

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
unless you are active duty military then none of that crap matters

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
An illegal engine or turbo here can get your car impounded and/or searched . If you don't care about having to pay the impound lot for the car release + having to pay for a new sr20det and a new stock engine to show you fixed it then yeah...I guess it doesn't matter...