EM1 rear sway bar restoration project complete/pics

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whats up people? Here are a few pics of a project I did. I wanted to install a rear EM1 sway bar for quite some time. Here is what the bar looked like when I first got it. It had several areas of exposed bare metal. The bar was pretty rusted, the pics don't really show the degree of wear. Of course the endlinks were toast. The set up needed to be brought back from the dead.

I actually sanded down the bar myself. I'm a big DIY junkie.

I tested for fitment. Guess what? My exhaust piping got in the way. This was due to the fact that I have a right offset ws2. I actually did a lot of research before ordering the muffler. I even asked a few sales reps and they told me to get the right offset. People don't know jack these days. Its no big deal tho, I got the piping redone real cheap by a friend of mine.

Brand new endlinks FTW!

I had the bar powder coated to match my function and form coilovers. I just recently installed the completed bar. I must say it makes an unbelievable change to handling. I'm happy with the results. What do you guys/gals think?

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Great write-up! Looks a million times better after your refurb.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
too cool man, i love seeing peoples process. It makes me want to get out there and do something haha.

Nice work! :thumbup:

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WOW. looks waaay better man, how much did the overall project cost you?

i cant wait to get back to work on my baby :(

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i would have done a different color than red myself, but you did a great job. looks really good :thumbs up

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks damn good, I had one for a while rigged on my subframe. I had no mounts for it, but the change was amazing. I took it off out of fear of breaking something important, so I may have to buy another.

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WOW. looks waaay better man, how much did the overall project cost you?

i cant wait to get back to work on my baby :(
THANKS! I'm glad some of you like it. I paid about $50 for what is shown in pic#1. The powder coat job was $100ish and the paint is much more brittle than I expected. I thought powder coating would improve the durability. Powder coat sucks. I will never get anything powder coated again. My $.02 :???:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if the powdercoat is chipping off then the surface was not prepped properly. powdercoat should be pretty durable

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I spotted a powder coat job project for a valve cover on a tuner mag a while back. They baked the valve cover in an oven. The powder coat job looked legit on the magazine. I was expecting powder coat paint to look very dull. My sway bar parts came out looking pretty glossy.

Function and Form coilovers can be found very easily. I got mine from weaksauceparts.