Engine Advice Needed

Tawine

Well my 99 Civic LX has a D16Y7 engine. A while ago I wanted to swap it with a K20A or H22A engine. Then I realized I could just speed up my current engine...until I can seriously swap it in like 2 years.

My first question is how can I vtec my D16Y7 engine.... because my power goal is 200HP-250HP. What else can I look into to reach this goal?

P.S: I know my engine is looked down upon but it is a everyday driver & occasional track use. So it's not smart for me to swap it now.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look into the mini me swap (more or less a sohc lsvtec) ... also, after that is done, boost it .. 200-250hp is very easy to reach with a boosted mini me

Tawine

I'm looking into that. They sound better than my engine too .... where can I go to buy it? I don't like to buy engines online. Plus I'll have to find a professional to install it for me.

For the complete swap how much do you think it will cost? Hopefully not $3000+ like the K20 Swap

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I'm looking into that. They sound better than my engine too .... where can I go to buy it? I don't like to buy engines online. Plus I'll have to find a professional to install it for me.

For the complete swap how much do you think it will cost? Hopefully not $3000+ like the K20 Swap
you can not buy a mini me it is a d-series vtec head mated to a non vtec d series block

whats wrong with online engines Ive bought two online not one issue

for you, you are looking at alot of money for this because you are going to pay someone an assload to do the head swap and turbo

Honestly, either leave your engine alone and save the money for your H or K swap (you know they are nothing alike) or spend your money on the d series.

Youre looking at 7k plus for your K swap dude

d-series.org join+READ+do NOT post they will eat you alive they hate noobs

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a mini me swap is A LOTTTT cheaper than any swap ... i actually have a y8 head for sale which is needed to do the swap...

Tawine

Dang a lot of people tell me just to save for a swap. The K20 is expensive though.... so I think I'll go with a B18C (Type R) Engine over the H22A engine .

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your best bet is a mini me swap

:D

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol @ $3k for a K series swap.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude, a b18c-R swap is going to be anywhere from 3-4k for a complete swap. If your incredibly low price of 3k for a k20 swap is too expensive, you are still shooting for the same ballpark.
Realistically, a k swap is much more. Even with tons of sourcing parts and doing it on your own, its still at least 5k when said and done.
a h22 isnt as cheap as it seems either. The necessary parts keep it in the 3-4k range as well.

Lastly, your 200-250 horsepower (assuming its whp) is still going to cost you a couple grand because you are going to need a complete turbo setup, minor motor work to handle the power safely, and a tune. Plus you arent doing it yourself, so your right to the 3k point or more.

No offense, but keep researching. Tons of people have had your same goals and have reached them in 101 different ways. Be logical with your budget and plan to do whatever you decide to do just once.

Tawine

Dude, a b18c-R swap is going to be anywhere from 3-4k for a complete swap. If your incredibly low price of 3k for a k20 swap is too expensive, you are still shooting for the same ballpark.
Realistically, a k swap is much more. Even with tons of sourcing parts and doing it on your own, its still at least 5k when said and done.
a h22 isnt as cheap as it seems either. The necessary parts keep it in the 3-4k range as well.

Lastly, your 200-250 horsepower (assuming its whp) is still going to cost you a couple grand because you are going to need a complete turbo setup, minor motor work to handle the power safely, and a tune. Plus you arent doing it yourself, so your right to the 3k point or more.

No offense, but keep researching. Tons of people have had your same goals and have reached them in 101 different ways. Be logical with your budget and plan to do whatever you decide to do just once.
Appreciate this bro, I'm trying my best to learn about it all. It's my first ever project Honda. It is whp that I'm talking about. Plus it seems that every time I tell people my power goal they always say turbo. I still have a lot of things to consider .... so I'm just gonna save & research. So when I do figure it all out I'll be ready.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the reason they turbo is because its way more difficult and EXPENSIVE to build a single cam that will make that much power. Its actually pretty damn expensive to get a b-series to lay down those numbers.

Tawine

the reason they turbo is because its way more difficult and EXPENSIVE to build a single cam that will make that much power. Its actually pretty damn expensive to get a b-series to lay down those numbers.
So if I went all motor it would be harder? Ok I'll turbo it.