engine missing?

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
installed new distributor cap and rotor and now it doesnt sound like it is idling right. ive tried pulling the plug wires while running to figure out what cylinders and they all drop off when pulled but it makes less of a difference when i pull the wires for 1. i also put in all new spark plugs.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Any check engine light? Which engine?

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
d16z6 still only code 41 for the o2 sensor. it had an exhaust leak before but didnt sound like this the last time i drove it.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Removing a spark plug wire with the engine running is one of the best ways to blow the coil inside the distributor.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ that was going to be my statement. You may be getting weak spark off the coil and may need to replace/rebuild the distributor.

if it still misfires after that, I would start looking into a timing/fuel problem. Have seen the same thing with clogged or partially clogged injectors and with an adjustable cam gear slipping a little and throwing off the timing.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this thread title had potential to be something far more mysterious

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pulled all of the plugs back out. and the one in 2 is wet and still looks new. so it is the one that is not firing. it is getting fuel because it is wet but its just not firing. any way to test the distributor. once again it ran fine before the cap and rotor replacement.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got it.
<<<<this guy is a dumbass!!
i had the wires for 1 and 2 switched. not sure how i did that cause i even looked at a picture of the order while i was doing it. all good now.