Engine Swap : 4WD/AWD Covnert

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Me and another friend were talking. im gonna need a new engine soon since the current enigne is wearing down. (1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe Vtec) and im looking into making it 4 wheel drive, alota work but i tihkn it'll be unquie, because everyone drops in B16's and 18c's and i dont wanna be like everyone else. i looked up some info, and the RB outa the R32 Skyline would fit but take sum serious mods to the frame and firewall. but was also thinking recently of a the Evo 8 but cant find the info i need to see if its possable. what do you guys and gals think?

Quebec_Civic

JDM? Is that A Brand?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think your crazy! LOL

but it would be sick

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Good luck to you man!
You have most certainly got your work cut out for you.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just use the CR-V drivetrain/tranny. Either the early B20's, or the K24's.

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is it going to be at all feasible to run a driveshaft under a Civic? They sit pretty low to the ground as it is. You realize for that what it would probably cost you to do this, you could VERY easily buy a high-performance AWD vehicle?

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just use the CR-V drivetrain/tranny. Either the early B20's, or the K24's.
yea i saw that done to a Integra to make it drift, but jason is right about that makin the car even lower. my car is already dropped. deff look into it tho.

Thansk for the luck and all everyone else =) keep the suggestions coming :cool:

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the honda legend in japan has a v8 awd with over 400hp stock.....mugen made one called the honda legend max with 590hp na....try looking into getting one of those, that way you still have a honda motor

Engine name: Mugen MF408S
Engine type: V8 Naturally Aspirated
Displacement: 4.0Liters
Horsepower: over 500ps
Valvetrain: 32 valves, DOHC

Layout: 90 degree V8 Naturally Aspirated
Displacement: 4000cc
Horsepower: 590hp / 9500rpm
torque: 383lb/ft / 7500rpm
Restrictor: 33.4mm x2 or 46.8mm x1
Clutch: Carbon 4 plate
length: 559mm
width: 720mm
height: 577mm
weight: 131kg

TomTomTuning

PhotoG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LOL @ This thread...

IMO, its a retarded idea. You want AWD, buy my EVO.. Its up for sale.

mosaic_hardflip

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the honda legend in japan has a v8 awd with over 400hp stock.....mugen made one called the honda legend max with 590hp na....try looking into getting one of those, that way you still have a honda motor

Engine name: Mugen MF408S
Engine type: V8 Naturally Aspirated
Displacement: 4.0Liters
Horsepower: over 500ps
Valvetrain: 32 valves, DOHC

Layout: 90 degree V8 Naturally Aspirated
Displacement: 4000cc
Horsepower: 590hp / 9500rpm
torque: 383lb/ft / 7500rpm
Restrictor: 33.4mm x2 or 46.8mm x1
Clutch: Carbon 4 plate
length: 559mm
width: 720mm
height: 577mm
weight: 131kg
thats Fing awsome ...... i want one

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats Fing awsome ...... i want one
i looked up the engine and other fourms dealing with the engine, alot of what i saw basiclly the engine isnt street legal being its a str8 racign engine. aside that i was unable to find out anything else aside from wut was posted if anyone can find liek a price or someplace that sells it or sumthin...? cause i can get a RB25DET for round 2.5-3k. and have a godzilla civic =) may sound rice but its about hte pwoer n performace =)

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i looked up the engine and other fourms dealing with the engine, alot of what i saw basiclly the engine isnt street legal being its a str8 racign engine. aside that i was unable to find out anything else aside from wut was posted if anyone can find liek a price or someplace that sells it or sumthin...? cause i can get a RB25DET for round 2.5-3k. and have a godzilla civic =) may sound rice but its about hte pwoer n performace =)
id get the rb then man, this v8 would probably be around 7-8k

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I find it unlikely this will actually happen. I've seen plenty of these threads by now and we all see how common this really is. I believe it's more work than most people first imagine it might be.

There are 6th gen Civic sedans in Japan and some other parts of the world which are already 4WD stock (EK5 and EK8). I would suggest trying to get one of those chassis to begin with. I'd be interested in really seeing how different the chassis might be, but at least it already would have the driveline. It's made to mate to a D16A though, so I'm not sure how you'd decide to work that out.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I find it unlikely this will actually happen. I've seen plenty of these threads by now and we all see how common this really is. I believe it's more work than most people first imagine it might be.

There are 6th gen Civic sedans in Japan and some other parts of the world which are already 4WD stock (EK5 and EK8). I would suggest trying to get one of those chassis to begin with. I'd be interested in really seeing how different the chassis might be, but at least it already would have the driveline. It's made to mate to a D16A though, so I'm not sure how you'd decide to work that out.
x2......i think a more reasonable build would be a s2k swap.....rwd, good power, and people have done it before so theres all kinds of parts made for this swap

whiteej8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have the money then go 4 it bro.............but i think it might be a waste of time and money......for the amount you gonna spend you could prob. buy a better car...............

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have the money then go 4 it bro.............but i think it might be a waste of time and money......for the amount you gonna spend you could prob. buy a better car...............
possably might cost the same as another car, but gonna be stickin wit this civic for a very long time lol

NOFX - dunno bout everyone else, but im not everyone else :D already started saving for hte project, i jsu like ta get other opioins other than friends. =) altho the 4doors in japan have 4wd not only would the insurance be higher cuz of my age but it would cost about the same ta buy the RB and installed. prolly

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can say 100% this is not going to happen..... sorry to break it to ya man, but you are wasting your time, and ours for trying to convince us. it would be cool, but like all the other EXPERIENCED people said, it'll be way too much time,effort and more importantly, money.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Regardless, id love to see the timeline of the build on whatever you choose to do. lol

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly dude, i think your wasting time and money. your talkin big baller/sponsered/company owned cars, its just not in the books man. Stop dreamin, stay true to your honda roots and go B/K series

cause i can get a RB25DET for round 2.5-3k. and have a godzilla civic =) may sound rice but its about hte pwoer n performace =)
Apearently not, cuz if it were for the power, you'd be happy with a fully buit b18 on a monster turbo, or a k-swap even. Being like 'everyone else' wouldnt be a factor.

heres one,

i tried
i failed
im broke
I actually lol when i read that!