engine swap : going diesel

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys,

I don't know if this has been done before or not, but I am interested. I am thinking of either switching my Honda Civic EX engine for a VW Jetta TDI OR just selling my car and going for a Jetta TDI.

Gas is going too expensive and the wifey has agreed to help me get a new car. I do an average of 50 miles a day and in my civic I am only getting 24-35 MPG.

Your thoughts/comments?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
just buy the tdi.... a swap would be MORE than a pain in the ass........

though... there are less expensive cars than the tdi that get better gas mileage

boostinhb77

EK wHore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why diesel? i might be mistaken, but out here in socal diesel is more expensive then 91

deval

Sprint/Nextel Geek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boostinhb77 said:
why diesel? i might be mistaken, but out here in socal diesel is more expensive then 91
yeah but diesel gets you alot more milage per gallon then a reglar gas car

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
just buy the tdi.... a swap would be MORE than a pain in the ass........

though... there are less expensive cars than the tdi that get better gas mileage
well the whole idea is to save on money on gas. what other cars are there, educate me!

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would just get the jetta, it gets great mpg and is a nice car actually

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
last i check diesel was just as much as gas, BTW you know theres not many people that mess with them kinda cars.. me myself i will be very soon just gotta find a school...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
diesel is as much, sometimes more, but you can get TWICE the mpg as with regular gas with diesel. they are slow as f**k though

deval

Sprint/Nextel Geek
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm...I thought with the new TDIs, you get awesome torque and low end speed

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Going-West said:
diesel is as much, sometimes more, but you can get TWICE the mpg as with regular gas with diesel. they are slow as f**k though
are you kidding me??? turbodiesel can have more torque and power...

example:
BMW 320d vs BMW 320i

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2004 Jetta TDI

1.9L Turbodiesel (100hp)

0-60 10.5 seconds
1/4 mile 17.94

Horsepower 100 @ 4000rpm
Torque 177 @ 1800rpm

Good torque, but still slow

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
see the table i posted in the post above you. comparing same engine displacement, but turbodiesel vs gasoline

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, my example discredits yours :???:

that jetta is a 1.9L turbo diesel and i have a 1.6 n/a petrol and mine owns it with .3L less displacement. on average, petrol engines are more powerfull than turbodiesel

silvertuner98

Banned
buy a 3 cylinder geo and enjoy... cheap to maintain and great gas mileage and dont have to look for the green or yellow handle at the gas station

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Going-West said:
well, my example discredits yours :???:

that jetta is a 1.9L turbo diesel and i have a 1.6 n/a petrol and mine owns it with .3L less displacement. on average, petrol engines are more powerfull than turbodiesel
then u need to see this: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=30183

and how does ur example discredit me? bmw's 2 liter diesel is clearly faster than their 2 liter petrol.i guess our examples discredit each other's.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you posted a diesel that was faster than a petrol and i showed a link that proves the opposite.

that truck has a high top speed which has more to do with gearing and aerodynamics than power. it has 700hp diesel on a race bred heavily r&d'd turbo diesel truck and parish (not sure if you know who that is, hatch_of_doom knows him, theres vids in the video lounge) has a 1000hp turbo petrol truck that he drives on the street. those examples aside, and in refrence the to original statment, on average, a stock normal TDI car will be slower than a normal petrol car with similiar displacement, and thats a fact.

but the perfomance losses are made up with fuel economy, so if thats what you are looking for, TDI's are a great choice :thumbs up

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i posted that a diesel was faster than a petrol, and you posted that a diesel was slower than a petrol. it goes both ways. we both proved our points.

normal is a relative statement, and there are examples that prove and disprove both our statements. sorry, but u don't win. rather, we both win/lose.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what i said originally is most factory stock diesel cars are slow. relative to a comprable factory stock gasoline powered car, its true in every sense. even when compared to a car with lower displacement its true. for instance the jetta i posted has a 1.9L making 100hp turbo diesel, most 1.9L gasoline engines are making at least 50% more horespower nowadays. my statement is correct in every sense of interpretation.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CAN WE STAY WITH THE TOPIC! I am looking for cheaper alternatives then my civic. so far only one person has responded and that is with a geo. kindly stay with the question i posted - if i can swap my civic engine with a diesel? etc.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry dude, i'm done. anfrey if you want to contine you can pm me or make another thread :D

like i said, if you want better mpg i would BUY a tdi car, swapping a diesel engine into your civic will cost a lot and be a huge hassle, it would be smarter to buy a tdi car. or possibly a hybrid car such as the prius or something. they get similiar mpg's to diesel cars, and similiar performance to TDI jetta's and such. kind of pricey though.