engine woes

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive posted problems ive had and yet heres another, sorry to bug, this is my greatest source of solutions.
ive replaced the head gasket and that is all, ive started my car and now there is a ticking noise, what may cause this from installing the head gasket?
also im leaking water from the header, and white smoke from exhaust what may cause this? i have a leaky hose but this i can fix but water from the down pipe leaking fromt he down pipe gasket?
TIA

d16y7 with y8 IM that is all, everything is stock.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ticking can either mean you need a valve adjustment or injectors firing. I doubt you have big injectors installed so check your valve adjustment. As for the water. Is it a little or alot? Let your car run for a bit and see if the water and white smoke stops.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you didn't install your new head gasket properly

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you just lay the headgasket down and not copper coat it? OR did you put it on backwards?

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm i do not feel i had installed the head gasket backwards because, when you place it down you can plainly see it only goes on one way. i do hope it isnt install wrong, could they have given me the wrong gasket?
as for water its not a whole lot, kinda looks like its just the bad hose is leaking.
on a side not the car has been sitting for about 2 weeks now without running, and also i had adjusted the belt twice now but the first time i adjusted the belt i didnt have any of these symptoms, the belt is aligned pretty good and the second time now i get these new symptoms.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
was working on the car tonight and decided maybe i could fix this ticking noise by checking valve clearance, and all is well i had set them not too long ago and they are still set correctly, and found that the oil was like a coffe color, means water contaminated the oil? is that from condensation?
. i then wanted to find the leaky hose and i found it but i came across finding that there is water inside of the intake manifold is that from condensation as well?
still trying to find out what is wrong i will work for next is take the head off and replace with honda oem.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you may have mistaken a vacuum line for a coolant line. double check your lines and make sure they're all in their proper place

and make sure the engine is cold when you do the valve adjustment. alot of people forget to do that

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i had thought this too about a vaccum line as well its why i took the manifold apart and im trying to re assemble tings now but, why must the oil be coffee colored? have i installed the head gasket wrong?

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its possible you could have installed it wrong. did you use the correct tightening sequence when you tightened the studs? did you use a torque wrench and torque it to spec?

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i had gotten an oem gasket, took it off it was on correctly and i re did everything once more, and yes i have followed the sequence of torque specs.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
all is set there are no leaks into the oil but i am getting a CEL for cylinder 2 misfire, and it also sounds as a loud tapping i tried valve adjustment, the car also dies after idling and the timing is dead on but tends to die after a while or atleast a lot of bogging like this video.