Failed Emissions - What the mecahnics say... Help

JNRainey

5+ Year Member
So I failed the emissions on my 98 LX (NOx and I think CO, mechanic has the papers), the cat was bad, was replaced, they cleaned out the carbon and re-tested, just barely failed again. The mechanic thinks it may be one of the following, just wanted to get your opinions:

After the first failure but before I took it to the mechanic: I replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap, put in Bosch platinum +2; mechanic said to NEVER put Bosch in a Honda....any thoughts??

Have a K&N filter. Just cleaned it after the first fail, mechanic says sometimes the oil from the K&N can cause a problem.....again, any thoughts?

Upstream O2 sensor, about 5k miles old, but again it's a Bosch, mechanic said never use Bosch....your thoughts??

I think this don't use Bosch stuff is a load, what do you think?

I have looked at other posts and will try those tips if it fails after they change the plugs.....

Thanks in advance....great forum by the way.

- First time poster!

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
use an additive to make your car run hotter right before you test, its what i did :cool:

as for bosch, i only use there wiper blades. other than that, its NGK, or MSD. and make sure your oil for the K&N is dried.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
First off :welcome:

Bosch is alright but, for spark plugs next time..just go with the $2 ngk oem replacements. They work just fine. did you reset your ECU (disconnect battery for a few minutes) right after installing the new parts. If not, do that and then drive 100 miles or so. That should give the computer good enough readings for the test.

nissansil

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in your state do they have a waiver where if you spend a set amount on fixing your car (150 in pa)they issue you a emissions sticker? i would do the ecu reset. did you install an oem cat?? from now on put oem parts in it. bosch is junk in a honda compared to oem stuff. the price difference isn't much either.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I failed the emissions on my 98 LX (NOx and I think CO, mechanic has the papers), the cat was bad, was replaced, they cleaned out the carbon and re-tested, just barely failed again. The mechanic thinks it may be one of the following, just wanted to get your opinions:

After the first failure but before I took it to the mechanic: I replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap, put in Bosch platinum +2; mechanic said to NEVER put Bosch in a Honda....any thoughts??

Correct, only use ngk or denso plugs in imports as a general rule.

Have a K&N filter. Just cleaned it after the first fail, mechanic says sometimes the oil from the K&N can cause a problem.....again, any thoughts?

throw away the K&N, and get an aem dryflow cone filter if you have intake system, or just get a paper filter for stock airbox. and then clean out the intake system, TB IAC valve, everything that the K&N ruined.

Upstream O2 sensor, about 5k miles old, but again it's a Bosch, mechanic said never use Bosch....your thoughts??

wrong, i just changed my primary sensor with a bosch sensor, and when i took it out of the box, it was the exact same as the oem one. made by NTK. almost every car on the road uses bosch oxygen sensor.

I think this don't use Bosch stuff is a load, what do you think?

I have looked at other posts and will try those tips if it fails after they change the plugs.....

If all else fails, start using this stuff in gas and oil. www.lubecontrol.com

Thanks in advance....great forum by the way.

- First time poster!

JNRainey

5+ Year Member
update

So on their own the repair shop swapped O2 sensors and took it to get re-tested and presto, it passed with flying colors! Apparently the Bosch senor I put it was not working correctly, but not bad enough to register with the on board diagnostics or my own scan tool. It was 'slow' what ever that means. Anyway, it's fixed, passed and now I'm a little smarter for the process.....hopefully it will go another 140k without any problems.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats not the first time I've heard not to put bosch plugs in a honda

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what's wrong with using bosch plugs? i just replaced mine recently with bosch =(

but my car works fine though

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what's wrong with using bosch plugs? i just replaced mine recently with bosch =(

but my car works fine though
now little midgets are gonna creep up behind you in your sleep and play battleship with your butthole.

n e way, yea ive been told never to use Bosch also :confused: