Failed Smog in CA

n01d3x

So glad to have found this forum, seems like I will be visiting here a lot.
I just bought a '93 Civic Dx as a commuter. It has about 140,000 miles on it and is an automatic. Sometimes on take off it stalls and lags out a little, then goes away. This does not happen that often and didn't when I test drove it. It failed smog today, but only in the 25mph NO column.
15mph NO (PPM) Max 731 MEAS 715
25mph NO (PPM) Max 798 MEAS 1010
Everything else passed pretty well below the MAX range. It barely passed the 15mph NO test. From what I've read seems like maybe the cat?? I have not done anything, but am going to change spark plugs and wires just because. Any input is highly appreciated.

RonJ

Banned
Replace the fuel filter and set the ignition timing to spec using a timing light.

n01d3x

Do you think the high NO and the lagging are related?

colecivic

well remember any time ur gonna smog ur car..fill up with premium gas. mobil 1 oil. go run the car in the freeway and then go smog it..helps u pass the car

n01d3x

Thanks, I'll replace the fuel filter and change the oil and make sure to get the cat warmed up before I go. I do not have a timing light, I was thinking about getting the timing belt changed anyway since I have no idea when it was last replaced. They would make sure the ignition timing was in spec while doing that right?

n01d3x

Oh, I just did a quick google search and found ones in the $100 range. Didn't think about renting one, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the diagram. Seems easy enough. It would be great if both problems were fixed with the same solution. Thanks for the advice. I'll let ya know how it goes.

I do not know when the timing belt was replaced. Like an idiot I didn't ask when I bought the car.