False Badging FTL!

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On a rare occasion I was watching the news and came across this... Kinda made me laugh when I think of all the VTEC badges out there...

http://cbs3.com/consumer/local_story_016213245.html

(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA What if you could turn your practical, everyday car into your dream ride, just by slapping on a sticker? More drivers are doing just that, putting on emblems from posher cars, hoping to fool and impress people. 3 On Your Side's Jim Donovan has what you should know about badging.

There's a new trend on the road: car owners trying to fake it, making it look like they're driving high performance, luxury versions of the cars they really have. It's called badging.

"They might, for instance, take a Chrysler 300 that has a V6 and put a Hemi badge on it to make it look like it's got the more expensive and more powerful V8 engine," said Jamie Kitman of Automobile Magazine.

You can buy emblems online; some dealerships even sell the stickers.

"The benefit is telegraphing other people very quickly that you have more wealth than you really have, perhaps and that you have more prestige," said Kitman.

One popular example? Mercedes owners are putting AMG badges on their cars to make it look like they bought the more expensive, fine-tuned version, which is about 20 to 30 thousand dollars more.

"It gives the person the opportunity to change their image, to create a different feeling about what they own and what they drive," said Mercedes dealer Garth Blumenthal.

Experts say it's not just luxury car owners. Dodge Chargers and Magnums are often badged along with Chryslers.

Sounds like harmless fun, right? Yes and no.

"If you're a consumer going out and buying a used vehicle and you're looking for, perhaps, a tuned vehicle like these with the bigger engines, you certainly want to be aware of what you're buying," said Robyn Eckard of Kelley Blue Book.

In other words you don't want to pay for a luxury model when it's really just a badged cheaper version.

How can you tell? Look for the vehicle identification number or VIN in the door jam of the car and then research it.

"The Vehicle Identification Number tells you exactly what that car is and what options it has on it," said Eckard.

Badges can run anywhere from about $4 to $50 or $60. If you are buying a used car through a dealership, they are legally required to let you know if a car has been rebadged.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you are buying a used vehicle (especially a Charger/magnum/330) and cant tell the difference between a real V8 and a rebadged 6 cyl, you deserve to drive the 6 cylinder. Cars often greatly affect a lot of other aspects of peoples lives, and yet people don't care enough to research the $20,000 vehicle they are buying. Instead they just buying whatever they think looks cute and then complain because it broke down on them 3 miles from the lot.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its sad that people dont research before buying a car but I find it funny that they put diff. badges on to make the car look faster than it is

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
3DScott had a woman tell him her CR-V had a V6 once. This is while he's staring back at her stock motor.

And the '76 Chrysler Cordoba that rear ended us was insured as a '76 Dodge Charger. They even had a Charger badge. Insurance had never seen it and cars of that year don't have the VINs we're used to.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a GT-R Civic. No.....REally!

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not as bad as the Dodge Ram HEMI I saw with a GT-R emplem placed on the tailgate...

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol, there are so many people that do exactly that when it comes to car parts...

how many people on here are rocking Mugen Valve Covers? considering that Mugen hasnt made a VC since '86, id say thats close to the same concept

if i could find the damn yellow HKS sticker that comes on the SSQV bov's, id throw that on my knockoff in a second, lol

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ha like my Apexi N1 muffler from ebay I had on the civic, lol

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh well I got a Magnaflow XL Performance system on my subie so at least I went legit this time and YES IT IS A GT lol

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hahahaha thats lame... reminds me of the ebay ad i saw... a white 7th gen accord with bmw emblems... i think the front one still had the honda H behind it showing a little

if it were me, id get the v8 and put the 6cyl badges on....

*runs out and buys civic emblem for accord*

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Atleast all the Type R and VTEC badges help the butt dyno right? ;).

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am gonna put Si badge on mine and use a sharpie and write V8 next to VTEC on my engine and then sell the car for 40k.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tell me why I've seen VTEC badges on Toyotas on numerous occasions.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The T in VTEC stands for Toyota....

Duh....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You need VVT-i flyers.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one6 said:
Tell me why I've seen VTEC badges on Toyotas on numerous occasions.
that's nothing. i saw the dohc vtec badge from the gsr on red ford taurus.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
One of my really old threads on here was about a red Ford F-150 pickup that was always at the DAFB. The guy told my ex, Greg, that it came with one of these badges because someone had removed the other two. He claims to have gone to Ford and bought the replacement badges for the other two locations.

What were the badges on this redneck mobile? Why, Nissan GTR badges of course.