Faulty gas tank warning

juliej

Warning for Civic Hybrid owners: I just discovered a huge safety issue and want to get the word out to other Honda Civic Hybrid owners.
Turns out, Honda knew it had installed faulty gas tanks in certain Civic models in 2011, but rather than recall affected cars, they extended their warranty to 120K miles, 10 years and issued a technical bulletin to dealerships.
Of course, my Civic Hybrid didn’t show signs of leaking till 132K miles and 12 years. Now the tank is cracked exactly where the technical bulletin indicates.
Unfortunately, I was never warned about this issue, and despite getting the car regularly serviced and other recalls fixed at the dealership, the tank was never inspected for signs of cracking. Clearly, the issue extends beyond the extended warranty and has the potential to turn the car into a 65 mph bomb.
I’m extremely shocked that I may have been putting my passengers and the environment around me at risk. If you have a Civic Hybrid mentioned in this article: https://www.greencarreports.com/…/1070986_honda-extends-war…, get the tank inspected ASAP and report any issues to the NHSTA.
I love my Civic Hybrid and also have an Odyssey but this has really rattled my nerves about Honda's credibility when it comes to safety.