fearing the worst...

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well yesterday i decided to finally do the auto to manual intake manifold swap...as i started out everything seemed to be going fine, i un-hooked everything fine and everything was going smoothly...so i finallly got the auto manifold and transfered everything to the manual one...i started to put the manual one on and everything bolted up nicely and went to together smoothly, the only thing that wasnt hooked up was the 2 hoses coming out of the back of the iacv, because i didnt know where they went. so anyway, i started the car and it started right up...but i was stuck around 1000 rpms and kept bouncing rapidly up to 1300 and back...and it did this the whole time while it was idling. i figured it was just some kind of vacumm problem so i was like ill find a diagram and finish it tomorrow...so i found the daigram. turns out those 2 hoses were coolant hoses, so i hooked them up to where the diagram said to, i was all excited because everthing shouldve went smoothly. well the idle still does the same thing 1000 to 1300 rpms rapidly...and now large puffs of white smoke are coming out of the exhaust, i fear that coolant is getting into engine block somehow and everything is ruined....what do you guys think?

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think that sucks. it happend to someone else on here i remeber reading about it. you best bet it to rip the head off and try to get all the water out. you might have bent valves or a bent rod.

i bet the damage is already done. i say let it run till you get all the coolant out.

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
this is kinda of stupid question but, you don't think you may have gotten your coolent and vacuum lines mixed up?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
stolibears said:
this is kinda of stupid question but, you don't think you may have gotten your coolent and vacuum lines mixed up?
well everyone said the iacv lines are coolant lines...this is the diagram i used

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
i think that sucks. it happend to someone else on here i remeber reading about it. you best bet it to rip the head off and try to get all the water out. you might have bent valves or a bent rod.

i bet the damage is already done. i say let it run till you get all the coolant out.
Wouldnt the coolant just burn off, w/out damaging anything?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 said:
i hope so....i have no idea whats wrong with the car

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
red96civicex said:
i hope so....i have no idea whats wrong with the car
check your coolant level and top it off. low coolant will cause your bouncing idle.

mike@synapse

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 said:
liquids cant be compressed so if enough coolant got in there it could cause some major damage.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you swapped the IM, did you swap the Throttle Bodies too? or did you use your AT throttle body?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mike@synapse said:
liquids cant be compressed so if enough coolant got in there it could cause some major damage.
yes they can, under extream pressure of course. if enough coolant got in there it wouldnt run at all it;d hydro lock and it;d be done. of course if you;ve ever worried about that u can take out your spark plugs and turn the motor over with the starter and it should push most of the water out of those holes. you;ve got a bit of coolant getting into the cylinders. check the seals and recheck the hoses and if it still happens there might be a problem with the manifold itself.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
When you swapped the IM, did you swap the Throttle Bodies too? or did you use your AT throttle body?
i used the AT throttle body, and i topped off my coolant beofre i started the car...

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
itsmycookie said:
yes they can, under extream pressure of course. if enough coolant got in there it wouldnt run at all it;d hydro lock and it;d be done. of course if you;ve ever worried about that u can take out your spark plugs and turn the motor over with the starter and it should push most of the water out of those holes. you;ve got a bit of coolant getting into the cylinders. check the seals and recheck the hoses and if it still happens there might be a problem with the manifold itself.
what could possibly be wrong with the manifold?

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you had swapped the MT TB, you might have saved this headache. I'm going to lean towards the fact that you have two IACVs right now. Is the IACV with the IM hooked up to anything? If it is, unplug it. You also may need to further bleed your cooling system of air. Just topping it off won't always do it. I run without the cap for about 5 minutes, keep it topped off as it burps up any air.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i hope for your sake theres no internal damage, gl figuring it out

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
If you had swapped the MT TB, you might have saved this headache. I'm going to lean towards the fact that you have two IACVs right now. Is the IACV with the IM hooked up to anything? If it is, unplug it. You also may need to further bleed your cooling system of air. Just topping it off won't always do it. I run without the cap for about 5 minutes, keep it topped off as it burps up any air.
i do have 2 iacv's but i do have the AT one unplugged...maybe ill run it without the coolant cap, but what about the coolant getting into the engine? i think its getting in from the manual iacv...

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Mugenkid18 said:
i hope for your sake theres no internal damage, gl figuring it out
i honeslty hope theres not either...thanks man

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
is there anyway someone can get me a nice pic of where the iacv hoses run on a MT 96-00 d-series?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ok well heres an update for you guys...i re-attached the hoses to how they used to be, before i hooked them up to the iacv, so i thought everything should be normal...well i also took the plugs out just in case there was coolant and nothing came out when i tried to start the car...so i put the plugs and wires back on and left the coolant cap off and started it....the idle still jumped up and down from 1300 to 1000 very rapidly...and there was only a very little amount of white smoke coming out...in puffs. so i let it run for about a minute overall hoping the idle would smooth out...well it didnt all of a sudden i see this HUGE cloud of white smoke come out of the exhuast so i shut it off...i think its time to rip apart the block

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i first strated workin on civics i did the same thing to mine. i dont know how but i lost compresion in the 2 middle cylenders and blew my head gasket so i replace all my piston rings and head gasket and it worked. o and changed all the car fluids while i was at it.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
senatE said:
when i first strated workin on civics i did the same thing to mine. i dont know how but i lost compresion in the 2 middle cylenders and blew my head gasket so i replace all my piston rings and head gasket and it worked. o and changed all the car fluids while i was at it.
the same EXACT thing happened to you? you were going from AT to MT intake mani?