Finally cmpleted this project: Gamer PC

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just wanted to share my latest creation that's not automotive related..

I started this by researching and piecing together the parts for this PC build in October 2011. I believe I have purchased and installed my last component for this particular machine. I have never built a PC from scratch before this one.

I call it Echellon III, meaning I've taken my technology skill set to the "third" level. My first ever computer was a Dell Dimension I dubbed Echellon I. I replaced the RAM in it, that's it. My second computer was a Dell E520 named Echellon II. I replaced the GPU, overclocked it with supplied software, and upgraded the PSU. Echellon III was a whole new learning experience...

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K (unlocked version) - overclocked to 4400MHz @ 1.3V daily, up to 4860MHz @ 1.43V on air during benchmarking
Ram: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz 1.5V 9-9-9-24 - overclocked 1600MHz and retimed latency at 8-8-8-21 @ 1.56V
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
Graphics card #1: MSI N460GTX Hawk 1GB 256-bit - overclocked 850MHz core / 1700MHz shader / 2000MHz memory
Graphics card #2 (SLI mode): EVGA GTX460 1GB 256-bit - overclocked 820MHz core / 1640MHz shader / 1980MHz memory
Primary disk: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SATA3 SSD - cold-boots windows 7 to desktop in 13 seconds
Storage #1: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM 1TB HDD - cold-boots windows 7 to desktop in 44 seconds
Storage #2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM 320GB HDD
Optical: LG BD/DVD-RW
Power Supply: Thermaltake Modular Black Widow TR2 RX 850W 69A@12V Bronze certified
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 LGA1155 180W
Thermal Management: Various 120mm and 140mm fans in push-pull configuration
Controller: NZXT 5-fan digital touch screen monitor
Chassis: Cooler Master Storm Scout Mid-tower ATX steel case
Primary OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
Secondary OS: Ubuntu Linux 11.10 64-bit
Display 1: Samsung 23" 1080P LCD
Display 2: ViewSonic 19" LCD
Keyboard: Thermaltake Ttesports Challenger Ultimate
Mouse: Logitech M570 bluetooth
Sound: Logitech X540
Battery Backup: CyberPower 1000PFCLCD 600W

I built this rig primarily as a learning experience. Now that I'm done with the hardware, I've been gaming on it mostly. Skyrim and MW3 for now. They both run ultra settings at 1080P resolution doing 60FPS like butter. I'm looking for another title that will challenge the PC more, while at the same time being an interesting game. Any suggestions?

So I'm curious to hear about other people's experiences with upgrading/building PC's. What's your dream PC??

Last edited:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hawwwtttt..
I've actually never thought of "building" a computer before.
If you don't mind me asking, and you can PM me if you're more comfortable doing so, but about how much did you have to put into this over time? Or how much should one expect to spend over time to make something similar to this?

Also you could try world of warcraft, or runescape (browser based). I know my brother had to update the graphics card in his computer just to run runescape high-res. The computer I'm on now, a newer hp, won't run runescape at full resolution. Not smoothly at least.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just tried runescape. Fullscreen 1920x1080 on max settings it stayed at 50FPS, but I believe that's what the game is capped at. Most games are at 60hz, but browser based might be limited. I never got into warcraft. I was thinking about getting Star Wars The Old Republic but wanted to read some reviews on it first

for s***s n giggles, skyrim screenshots

Last edited:

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice PC/setup, I've always wanted to ensemble my own pc for gaming and 3d design, but i'm afraid of buying incompatible pieces and make a waste of money, have you tested it with design software something like autocad or solidworks???

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I haven't tested any 3D graphic design software, but with the dual GPU setup and 8GB of memory, it should do pretty decent. There's still 2 empty DIMM slots for 8GB more memory if I ever did get into high def video editing or graphic software.

It took weeks of research before I bought any of the components. Then when I had a solid game plan I started with the case, then the mother board, then the chip, ram, graphics, power, storage, cooling, etc etc

To answer young's previous question, I haven't actually tallied up the total cost of this build. I did mail in a ton of rebates for some of the parts. I would put this PC in the $1200-1400 ballpark, not including peripherals and displays. I'll get you a more accurate total later when I have a minute

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sick man. I really would love to build a nice rig. All I really want to do currently is upgrade my mobo, CPU, RAM, get an SSD, and a new OS. But even then it's still $500 minimum. HDD prices are crazy these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice. I want to build a new rig. Just have too much going on right now. I'm still rocking a gtx 260 and a quad core q6600 with 8gigs of ddr2. Old school so to speak.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To answer young's previous question, I haven't actually tallied up the total cost of this build. I did mail in a ton of rebates for some of the parts. I would put this PC in the $1200-1400 ballpark, not including peripherals and displays. I'll get you a more accurate total later when I have a minute
Sweet :D
Beats paying 4 grand for an alienware

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Billy, you get your stuff off of newegg?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sweet :D
Beats paying 4 grand for an alienware
Yea no kidding. Much more rewarding too
Billy, you get your stuff off of newegg?
Some parts, yes. I did a lot of shopping around for each component though. I bought from NCIX.com, Superbiiz.com, amazon, walmart, costco, bestbuy, and newegg. Almost everything I bought had some sort of manufacturer rebate and/or instant promo codes. In total rebates, I probably saved $250-300

Last edited:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
These prices are after rebates/promos:

Core i5 2500K: Superbiiz - $205
G.Skill ram: Newegg - $42
ASRock Z68 mobo: Superbiiz - $119
MSI GPU: NCIX - $119
EVGA GPU: Amazon - $135
OCZ 60GB SSD: Newegg - $65
WD 1TB HDD: Newegg - $70
WD 320GB HDD: Recycled from previous PC - $0
LG BluRay DVD/RW: Newegg - $50
Thermaltake PSU: Newegg - $90
CM V8 cooler: Superbiiz - $45
NZXT fan controller: Superbiiz - $25
CM Storm Scout case: Newegg - $65
Extra case fans: $30
Windows 7 Home Premium: $80
23” Samsung: Costco - $160
19” Viewsonic: recycled from previous PC- $0
Ttesports keyboard: Superbiiz - $75
Logitech Bluetooth mouse: Amazon - $48
Logitech 5.1 speakers: Amazon -$40
Cyberpower UPS: Newegg - $130
Arctic silver 5 TIM: walmart - $7
Locking SATA cables: Bestbuy - $12

Total build cost (including displays and peripherals): $1612

Most of my major purchases were before the floods in asia, so the prices were better late last year. After the tech shortage started, I couldn't even find another MSI GTX 460 graphics card for less than $180. Most were well over $200, so I waited until I found this EVGA card $150 before rebate last week. The 1TB HDD that I got for $70 can't even be bought for under $100 now.

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Holy s**t that's a lot of money..... lol.

If China and Taiwan all of a sudden vanished off the Earth, we'd be so screwed :lol:.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice setup. I love that case. I am half tempted to scrap mine and get that. I love the wire management aspect of it.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea it's a great case for the money. The sturdy handle on the top is a life saver. I love the tinted plexiglass window too.

My wire management isn't perfect right now. Two of the fans are temporary until the replacements come in, so I just left the wires dangling for now.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea it's a great case for the money. The sturdy handle on the top is a life saver. I love the tinted plexiglass window too.

My wire management isn't perfect right now. Two of the fans are temporary until the replacements come in, so I just left the wires dangling for now.
I'm a neat freak and that looks awesome to me!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks. Here's a couple more shots...

Backside with panel off.. I still need to secure some cables and clean it up

Sitting on my PC workbench

lights on

lights off

My desk setup

Arma 2 screen shot. ~95FPS @ 1080P ultra settings :yummy:

benefit of asrock mobo with X-fast LAN

Last edited:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice setup Billy, looks a lot like mine (except I'm running 560Ti's)! :D

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Billy I think you should try out SWTOR... I tried their free weekend trial over this past weekend and I was hooked!!! So hooked that I bought the game yesterday! I've never really taken an interest to WOW or that same genre (besides Guild Wars a long long time ago), but after jumping on SWTOR, it was like damnnn! Pretty awesome game IMO.

If I had a free trial, I'd pass it along to you, but I gave my 7-day free pass to another buddy already lol.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice setup Billy, looks a lot like mine (except I'm running 560Ti's)! :D

:blahblah: "I have a small penis so I had to get SLI 560's" :blahblah:

SWTOR was in my list, but not before rFactor 2, Metro2033 and/or Mass Effect 3. I still haven't tried any of the Battlefield series, and I keep hearing how much better they are than COD. I'd definitly like to try out SWTOR before I buy it though...

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm actually in the process of getting rid of the cards; much like your mobo/case, the cards create a lot of damn heat even with all the fans I have blowing in and out... I wish the board would move up the pcie slots up by like one slot each, that would solve a lot of issues with SLI in a mid-tower.

SWTOR is great, I definitely recommend trying to find a free trial out there somewhere. I almost didn't buy it due to having to pay monthly the play, but it comes with a free 30-day run after purchasing the game so it wasn't all too bad for me :p