Finished painting mugen lip *pics*

ikillradio

Well i spent the past two days painting my front lip and i'm not SUPER happy with the results but i hope after the paint cures and I use some rubbing compound we will be good to go. Anyone know how long I should wait?

Oh well.

Here is the procedure I went through:
1) Sand 100 Grit, Wetsand 400, Prime, wetsand 400, prime, wetsand 800, color, wetsand 1000, color, wetsand 1500, clear, wetsand 2000, clear.

I'll put the in process pics when my friend sends them over.

a few times the color would come off and i would have to touch up spray, i wonder what I was doing wrong. I spent a long time, maybe I was pressing too hard on certain instances.

then i got all OCD and wetsanded my front end with 2000 grit, eeek that was scary looking before i waxed. I'm planning on redoing my CTR style headlights, redoing my DIY type R grill because someone backed into it and I had to use electrical tape for now. Then clay bar-ing, glaze-ing, and waxing later in the week. :roll:

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks pretty good to me. i am thinkin about a mugen style lip down the road for my car. actually a kit that has the mugen front lip, mugen style rear lip and cant remember which skirts but it looks really nice.

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks like u didnt sand it enough and it u used a spary can right? u cant really expect much from it...looks like u need a little more clear coat

ikillradio

double0prelude said:
looks like u didnt sand it enough and it u used a spary can right? u cant really expect much from it...looks like u need a little more clear coat
i sanded quite a lot, it was super smooth. i dont think that is the exact problem, and i would agree on the more clear coat.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how did your front end come out with the 2000 grit. what did you do after wetsanding it?

ikillradio

bklynEG said:
how did your front end come out with the 2000 grit. what did you do after wetsanding it?
bad move unless ur in the mood for a full detail, the panels are as smooth as glass but visually it was HORRIBLE untill i waxed. I'm going to clay and then see what happens.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need more clearcoar, other than that it looks nice.

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
didn't do any buffing, did you? mine came out like a flat black too, cuz I forgot to buff it after the paint coats and wetsanding....the clearcoat just doesn't give enough shine too it. But your lip looks like mine...haha ;)

looks good on a black civic

ikillradio

TorGa3iGhT said:
didn't do any buffing, did you? mine came out like a flat black too, cuz I forgot to buff it after the paint coats and wetsanding....the clearcoat just doesn't give enough shine too it. But your lip looks like mine...haha ;)

looks good on a black civic
gotta wait for it to cure before i buff correct?

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would reccomend sanding it all down and start over for the look you're going for. Few more things. Don't sand your car with anything lower than 220 grit, you'll have marks and stuff all in the paint. After the primer, don't sand with anything. After you prime it, you can sand that down with 400-600.
So what we have is.
1. Clean the lip very well.
2. Sand it with 220
3. Clean it agian and prime it.
4. Sand it with 400-600.
5. Clean it.
6. Apply 1st coat, let dry, apply 2nd coat ect.
7. Apply several coats of clear.
8. Now wetsand with about 2500, and buff.
That should give you the best shine and look. You can't really expect it to be extremely smooth with it being plastic though. BTW a spray can will work fine just get the ones with the special nozzle.

Bobo_686

Shiny things amuse me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you may want to blue the plates man...alot of assholes out there...

ikillradio

Cod Man said:
I would reccomend sanding it all down and start over for the look you're going for. Few more things. Don't sand your car with anything lower than 220 grit, you'll have marks and stuff all in the paint. After the primer, don't sand with anything. After you prime it, you can sand that down with 400-600.
So what we have is.
1. Clean the lip very well.
2. Sand it with 220
3. Clean it agian and prime it.
4. Sand it with 400-600.
5. Clean it.
6. Apply 1st coat, let dry, apply 2nd coat ect.
7. Apply several coats of clear.
8. Now wetsand with about 2500, and buff.
That should give you the best shine and look. You can't really expect it to be extremely smooth with it being plastic though. BTW a spray can will work fine just get the ones with the special nozzle.
actually thats basically what i did, and if you don't wetsand after the layers of Color you're not going to get a smooth surface. My surface is stunningly smooth, just dosen't have the full luster reflection of the bumper etc. I just re cleared today and it looks awesome, just have to wait for the paint to cure and use some polishing compound and we will be good to go.

thanks tho.

Bobo_686 said:
you may want to blue the plates man...alot of assholes out there...
Good call thanks

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ikillradio said:
actually thats basically what i did, and if you don't wetsand after the layers of Color you're not going to get a smooth surface. My surface is stunningly smooth, just dosen't have the full luster reflection of the bumper etc. I just re cleared today and it looks awesome, just have to wait for the paint to cure and use some polishing compound and we will be good to go.

thanks tho.

Good call thanks
your not suppose to sand the paint..it dulls out if u do that. Thats why u do wet sand on the primer with 1500 grit. 3 coats of base color and 2 or 3 of clear coat. Let it cure then wet sand with 2500 grit and buff.

ikillradio

defvayne said:
your not suppose to sand the paint..it dulls out if u do that. Thats why u do wet sand on the primer with 1500 grit. 3 coats of base color and 2 or 3 of clear coat. Let it cure then wet sand with 2500 grit and buff.
how long of a cure.
i haven't been sanding after the clear i just put on it looks fine now.

thanks

and when yu selling that lip :twisted:

ikillradio

red4 said:
not seeing any pictures here. :(
had to take them off cuz of license plate ill put up new ones today

Does anyone know how long i should let the paint cure before polishing compound?

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ikillradio said:
how long of a cure.
i haven't been sanding after the clear i just put on it looks fine now.

thanks

and when yu selling that lip :twisted:
you don't have to. you usually don't, only if you have a lot of orange peel. And orange peel only comes out in the clear so there is no reason to sand the color.

ikillradio

Cod Man said:
you don't have to. you usually don't, only if you have a lot of orange peel. And orange peel only comes out in the clear so there is no reason to sand the color.
say again?
you mean i shouldnt have to buff and it should be beautiful already?

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ikillradio said:
say again?
you mean i shouldnt have to buff and it should be beautiful already?
yeah, no new factory cars are cut and buffed. except mabye like high end bently's and farrars