First DSLR Nikon? Canon?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yup. That's what I'm doing. I have 4 lenses, an external flash, a couple memory cards, and a camera bag that holds more than what I have now. Now that I'm done spending on equipment, I'm just going to take pictures, work the hell out of the D40 body until I reach it's shutter life or have enough money to upgrade bodies and everything else will still be usable.
So your saying a Wal-Mart bag won't work? LOL JK

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So what is the shutter life? How does all that work?
I believe the D40 is rated to have around a 100k shutter life. That means it will last around 100k actuation's. 1 actuation is 1 shutter release. Whether you have the lens on or not, it doesn't matter. 1 shutter release is 1 shutter release.

Platinumcloud

The canon t2i is your best bang for your buck mate...its pop photos camera of the year for good reason....full hd video at 30 fps and supurb image quality for under 800 is just amazing. i would suggest just getting the body and buying yourself a 50mm f1.8 lens....if you get into photography more you will understand why i suggest this over the kit lens. even if your not into the video part of it you can always go with a used body...look on B&H and Adorama on their used stores....i have never had a problem with either of them and they back their products....if you can pick up a used 40d or 50d for like 500 your ahead of the game.....also the most important thing to remember in photography is spend money on GLASS not CAMERA BODIES.....the come out with a new body about every 8 months.....and the GLASS is what gives you your picture quality....best of luck

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So your saying a Wal-Mart bag won't work? LOL JK
Most places sell Tamrac bags, which are completely fine. I bought a LowePro bag. They've had a good reputation for a long time. And most of their bags come with an "all-weather" cover, which you just unzip a zipper and pull out and over the bag to protect from rain, snow, etc. A cool safety feature.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The canon t2i is your best bang for your buck mate...its pop photos camera of the year for good reason....full hd video at 30 fps and supurb image quality for under 800 is just amazing. i would suggest just getting the body and buying yourself a 50mm f1.8 lens....if you get into photography more you will understand why i suggest this over the kit lens. even if your not into the video part of it you can always go with a used body...look on B&H and Adorama on their used stores....i have never had a problem with either of them and they back their products....if you can pick up a used 40d or 50d for like 500 your ahead of the game.....also the most important thing to remember in photography is spend money on GLASS not CAMERA BODIES.....the come out with a new body about every 8 months.....and the GLASS is what gives you your picture quality....best of luck
Thanks I appreciate the info! It does sound really that the glass is everything! I am looking at maybe picking up this D3000 for 400.00 as posted above... If he will do 400 then I think I will start there and then maybe go to the T2i after the first of the yr!

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Most places sell Tamrac bags, which are completely fine. I bought a LowePro bag. They've had a good reputation for a long time. And most of their bags come with an "all-weather" cover, which you just unzip a zipper and pull out and over the bag to protect from rain, snow, etc. A cool safety feature.
Well I was being a smart a** and meaning the white plastic Wal-Mart bag lol totally a joke!

That does sound like a sweet bag!

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am torn now... Lol I love the T2i Features! And then I found that d3000 deal.... thinking such a great deal... Then I am sitting here listening to pandora and a stupid commercial comes on for the t2i lol wth

Edit: The guy said he would do 425 shipped... Which is really not bad!

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So after HOURS and HOURS of research at work I have narrowed my choice down to the Nikon D3100... I went into Mikes Camera's today on Lunch and held the T2i and the d3100 and felt the d3100 fit better in my hand, was a bit lighter, and a bit less money. The lenses for them are about the same cost wise for what I will be doing....

I do like the deal above, however I found them used (Body only) for about 270.00 which I could pick up a sick lens and such and still be in my price range... However I was still going to be base start.... The added features including video are important to me although they are not everything...

So if anyone has any input on the d3100 I would appreciate it! I did find it online for 590 shipped with lens. However it is back ordered. Where as if I go to the local store I pay tax :( and it is 650.00 but I will have it in hand... And I get a free 2hr class on DSLR's which is 55.00 bucks normally.... And some free prints... So I guess although it may be a few dollars different, it seems like the local buy would be better... Thoughts?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly man, get what you feel is the best. Like you said earlier, you're just starting out. You're going to progress eventually, you're going to want to get a newer camera eventually, regardless of which one you get... I would personally get whatever is the cheapest and spend the extra dough on glass. Lenses make a world of a difference. More so than a camera, especially if you're not comparing a D40 to say a D3x (which retails for $7500 for the body alone on B&H by the way). I mean it's one thing to compare an entry level to a professional top end camera. But the D3000, D5000, D40/40x, D60, D70, D80, D3100.... They're all not EXTREMELY spectacular. They are great DSLR's but when they're compared to each other, it's nothing like looking at a professional level camera.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Agreed, thanks for the input bro... I really do appreciate all of it and it has helped me more than you will know!

Platinumcloud

oh i forgot to mention....you may want to play the waiting game and try B&H and Adorama's used stores every few hours things change on there constantly...also craigslist is another good place to watch. especially since you can go inspect the camera before you buy it. it sounds like your in a rush to get a dslr....if you want a screaming deal keep looking on the used stores and C.L.....pple will use a body for like a month then when a new body comes out they will upgrade.....

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you want a screaming deal keep looking on the used stores and C.L.....pple will use a body for like a month then when a new body comes out they will upgrade.....
Yup. From what I've read, there's a new camera every year or so, maybe a little sooner. And pro's upgrade anywhere between 1 and 5 years, depending on the amount they shoot.

I think lenses are slightly more important than camera bodies in most cases.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh i forgot to mention....you may want to play the waiting game and try B&H and Adorama's used stores every few hours things change on there constantly...also craigslist is another good place to watch. especially since you can go inspect the camera before you buy it. it sounds like your in a rush to get a dslr....if you want a screaming deal keep looking on the used stores and C.L.....pple will use a body for like a month then when a new body comes out they will upgrade.....
Thanks for the feedback! I have been looking into a DSLR for a while now, just went full force on the search the past week or so... Which for me is more than normal lol I usually want it, I buy it and be done... So not a total rush just never brought it up since I didn't have the cash... I did watch those sights and they had some great deals but it seems no one has the d3100 or t2i cheap really...

Yup. From what I've read, there's a new camera every year or so, maybe a little sooner. And pro's upgrade anywhere between 1 and 5 years, depending on the amount they shoot.

Agreed with the lenses which is why I did what I did...

So I bought my first DSLR Wooo hooo! Been playing with it since I got it!

Got the Nikon D3100 kit with 18-55mm lens Also I picked up the Nikon 55-200mm lens as well

Now the reason I got it was because my step dad works for Kmart distribution and told me about this sale they had for family and friends... So I found the camera, it was 699.00 50 off that so 649.00 then I got 10% off... Then I saw the deal of buy one of the lenses and camera and get 100.00 off. So out the door with tax I spent 740.00 which for what I got I feel was a great buy..... I could not find it new for cheaper and especially not one that was in town....

So I have been taking a lot of photo's already just of random stuff getting the hang of it... I haven't had time but I am trying to figure out how to turn the flash off... Also trying to get the hang of the focus on one subject while it blurs out the rest...

Thanks again everyone for the help! I hope this thread hopes others looking for a DSLR because you all helped me decide on this and I am really happy with it... If only you were closer to teach me how to use it lol:D

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So any suggestions on lenses to look for? I want one that I can use at the drag strip, I go there a LOT and want to be able to really zoom in on the cars from the stands and such...

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Pros don't upgrade every year, amateurs with too much money do. When you spend 3-5k on a body, you don't NEED to upgrade, nor is there a new body every year at that level. There's a much higher rate of obsolescence in the lower amateur level cameras ($1k and less) because amateurs upgrade more. Start with $400 camera, then $700 camera, then $1k camera. It's a hell of a business model.

John is right, spend cash on lenses, they hold their value because the WON'T become obsolete.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So any suggestions on lenses to look for? I want one that I can use at the drag strip, I go there a LOT and want to be able to really zoom in on the cars from the stands and such...
Your 55-200 should be fine. The autofocus is sorta slow (compared to good / better lenses) but it's not like you're at an indoor sporting event trying to snap off pics left and right.

If you want a little more zoom, the 55-300 AF-S version is around $360 new. I haven't read up on the lens though so I can't say how good or not so good it is.

Pros don't upgrade every year, amateurs with too much money do. When you spend 3-5k on a body, you don't NEED to upgrade, nor is there a new body every year at that level. There's a much higher rate of obsolescence in the lower amateur level cameras ($1k and less) because amateurs upgrade more. Start with $400 camera, then $700 camera, then $1k camera. It's a hell of a business model.

John is right, spend cash on lenses, they hold their value because the WON'T become obsolete.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've read something along those lines but I figured I would throw what I said out there anyways.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks LowNotSlow and thanks John... I agree that the 55-300 may be a better lens, but for the money I was wanting to spend I think I got a good deal... Plenty of lens's to come soon! =)

Talked to a buddy just went on a cruise to the Caribbean and got the exact same set up like a week ago for under 500, he said he won't tell me because I would be mad lol.. But like I told him I am not going on a cruise anytime soon! lol

Platinumcloud

if your going to the drag it will be duing good weather im guessing so get yourself your lens whatever it may be then get yourself a teleconverter the cheapest is a 1.4 which i wanna say is around 100 beans dont quote me on that i never shopped for one...the converter goes on the body then the lens goes on it which multiplys your focal length by the number which would be 1.4 that will give you your extra reach. it will slow your f stop down by like 3 stops but if you in good weather it wont matter. so you stick that convetrter on your 55-300 you now have a 77-420....just a thought =)

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info I will have to look into that... And yes good weather, although in CO it does seem to storm every time the races start lol