Flywheel & Top End Issues

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My problem is that i blew my engine and bought this 7lb fidanza flywheel to put on the new engine and i dont have much of a top end. I get it up to around 6k and it just doesnt wanna go anymore and it like it just spins and the rpms dont climb. The engine i have was used and has 110k miles on it and i have put about 200 on it since i got it. Does this mean somethings wrong or is this normal?

Any oppinion is helpful thanks. Peace

Ps. I have I/h and a mufler(not piping YET) and the flywheel....thats it

Last edited:

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bump for some help?

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
timing maybe....... i dont think it has anything to do with your flywheel....it should still go to redline....

clutch?

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It will still go to redline but it takes forever

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
possible...the people who put it in were a bunch of hill-billys whats a good way to proove that?

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s**t man, I dont even know if thats the issue........honestly you give too little info to even try to e-diagnose.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
umm...it runs just fine, idles alright...i taped th trottle on it and it rezs to 3k and i did the same thing to my friends Si and it went to 2k, theres not much difference from the old one in traffic...everything feels about the same as stock excet that it revs a lil faster and i dont have much of my top end....

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just dont know sir..... sorry.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ight thanks for ur help, i gotta get to bed

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The function of a flywheel is to add rotational inertia. For those who know, the engine can rev much faster if the inertia of the flywheel is reduced. If you want less inertia, then you can take mass off of an exiting flywheel or replace with a lighter design. People lighten flywheels to decrease initial rotational inertia which would add to acceleration, but a decreased top end. I was thinking that if the flywheel weighed nearly nothing then the engine would take off like no other, but obviously top engine speed would drop. If only there were a medium, but theres none so you find one close such as a 12lb for such a motor with power as yours. Its all science, I hope this answers question. Free free to ask me anything else.

So Joe did I spell eveything right lol =)

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What can mod can i do that will give me some of that top end back? Why is it bad to go turbo with lighter flwheels like mine?

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
because between shifts you will drop out of boost because its so light...

your flywheel has nothing to do with this issue.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what should i get to help out my top end?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why people put super light flywheels on nearly stock cars i dont understand. lol

put it on neutral and rev it up to redline to see if it even goes up there. im guessing its more of a engine problem for it not revving pass 6k. but i still think its a waste of money putting a super light flywheel on a car that is lacking torque and power.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
why people put super light flywheels on nearly stock cars i dont understand. lol

put it on neutral and rev it up to redline to see if it even goes up there. im guessing its more of a engine problem for it not revving pass 6k. but i still think its a waste of money putting a super light flywheel on a car that is lacking torque and power.
Its the flywheel. you be surprised how the wieght effects the way a motor performs so much. I gave the resond why this happens in my first post.. it not something made up what I stated was true. & I also dont understand why people put super light flywheels on nearly stock cars, I guess they think the lighter the better....

Last edited:

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not sure, i know someone with a 8lb flywheel on a d16 non vtec. it went up to redline no problem. but car is a shitty dialy driver car with all the loss low end power.