Flywheel

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well improperly shaved flywheels that are unbalanced at the least dissapate heat unevenly, leading to warping, which ruins the flywheel and usually takes the clutch with it. if its really unbalanced, putting it under a heavy load has a chance that it will desintigrate, grenading and taking out your tranny, engine block, and possibly you. think about how fast that metal plate is spinning at 8000+ rpm if it suddenly decides to break. go aftermarket, it will work better, last longer, and wont possibly blow you and your car up.

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok if you change your flywheel to lighten it. is it compatible with stock? or do need to upgrade something with it?

cpforyou

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok folks...... lets try to clear everything up.

A flywheel and a clutch are two separate components. They are related because the clutch disc grips onto the flywheel and moves the car.

Most stock flywheels weigh about 18 - 20lbs, depending on the car (aka B-Series, H-Series, D-Series).

A lightened flywheel is the best bang for the buck. You use your stock flywheel, take it to a shop where they machine and balance it. However, it's not a good idea to go too light on a stock flywheel. I don't recommend going any lower than 14lbs. A ITR flywheel is 14 lbs!!

If you want to go lower, then I recommend going with an aftermarket flywheel. There are many designs, such as cromoly, aluminum, etc. etc. Each of them have their pros and cons.

You can use almost any flywheel with any clutch with the exception with specialy clutches such as the Tilton Clutch.

cpforyou

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by ersatz0906
ok if you change your flywheel to lighten it. is it compatible with stock? or do need to upgrade something with it?
Yes! You can use it with a stock clutch, but since your tranny is already taken apart, why not move up to a more agressive clutch?

cpforyou

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ITR Flywheel is usually around $250 give or take.

To have your stock flywheel lightened is usually $125.

I would not spend money on an ITR flywheel if you don't already have one. You can get an ACT Flywheel that's 12.5lbs for $225 or an 8.8 lbs version for the same price.

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it ok to lightened it without upgrading others parts? because some of my friends told me theat other parts will wer off bcuz of the lightened stock flywheel. is this true?

CFactor

Why am I such a pimp?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
while I was researching flywheels I came up to another question. What are the pros/cons/similarities of organic and ceramic clutches?

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it ok to lightened it without upgrading others parts? because some of my friends told me theat other parts will wer off bcuz of the lightened stock flywheel. is this true?

they are wrong, go beat them up

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by cpforyou
Ok folks...... lets try to clear everything up.

A flywheel and a clutch are two separate components. They are related because the clutch disc grips onto the flywheel and moves the car.

Most stock flywheels weigh about 18 - 20lbs, depending on the car (aka B-Series, H-Series, D-Series).

A lightened flywheel is the best bang for the buck. You use your stock flywheel, take it to a shop where they machine and balance it. However, it's not a good idea to go too light on a stock flywheel. I don't recommend going any lower than 14lbs. A ITR flywheel is 14 lbs!!

If you want to go lower, then I recommend going with an aftermarket flywheel. There are many designs, such as cromoly, aluminum, etc. etc. Each of them have their pros and cons.

You can use almost any flywheel with any clutch with the exception with specialy clutches such as the Tilton Clutch.

ok first of all i do not recommend such weight reductions on stock flywheels, why? because flywheels can shatter, shooting out of the tranny AND killing you, dont be a cheap mother f**ker and buy a flywheel that is DESIGNED to be light weight, not one that you half ass into making it light weight, cromoly is the best material to get when you are looking into aftermarket flywheels, why? because they have the same tensile strength as a stock flywheel and they do it with less weight, they are less prone to crack/warp and they are usually cold forged, which is good, very good.

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey so if you shave the OEM fly what is the max that you can shave but can retain reliable and daily driven Flywheel?

any good aftermarket fly Link?

www.clutchcityonline.com

exedy clutch/flywheel package, its good stuff, thats the next clutch i am going to get for my car when my ACT wears out, but i have a JUN Ultralite flywheel and i have had 0 problems with it so yeah........and DO NOT shave your oem flywheel, dont be cheap and get one made lightweight not one that you make lightweight

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Zak8022
well, if you are building the D16, i would suggest going with a lightened flywheel. WiggerMan posted a good point....but since you will be building the D16, its all good.

some things to look for....the engine will rev fast...in BOTH directions. meaning you wont just be able to rev faster, but you will also loose revs quicker when not on the throttle. so you will have to adjust your shifting technique a little. also, as someone else said, you will have to adjust the way in which you start off in 1st gear. the other thing i would want to stress ALOT is that you be careful of how heavy your foot is. you can seriously f**k up your engine if you arent paying attention one day when/if you are revin at the stop light. throttle response will be enourmously improved!

hope this helps.
you cannot f**k up your engine by hitting your rev limiter.......PERIOD

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by cpforyou
I've actually never had a problem running my shaved flywheel. I was running a 13lb shaved flywheel. The only problem I ever had was my clutch (4 Puck ACT) digging into the surface of the flywheel so much, that my clutch outlasted my flywheel.

so you have had a problem with it and a shaved stock flywheel is a retarded idea, i dont know about you but i cant afford the cheap stuff (if you dont understand that statement then continue to cheap out on your s**t and then you will understand)......

PhoebeusFenix

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just was searchign about buying a new flywheel, good post. Anyway, my question was this:

When replacing the flywheel is it also a good idea to replace the clutch, ive got a 99 ex and i think the clutch is in good shape, how can you tell? It takes a good amount of force to get it to the floor and it responds nicely. Also, how hard is the install on a flywheel and a clutch? Do you need to remove the entire transmission? Sorry, im not too engine literate yet. But im tryin! Ive only done a few thigns to my car, sri and soon going to be replacing the exhaust manifold and then getting a GReddy catback, it would be one helluva difference if i replaced the flywheel, the clutch, and got a short shifter wouldnt it, be like drivin a whole new car.