frequency of transmission fluid changes

Randyydnar

I've got 35k miles on my 2012 Civic and the dealership wants to change my transmission fluid. After doing a little research, I've heard it all. Some say to never change it, as it doesn't break down like regular oil. Some say to change it every 10k miles. I also heard there is no filter, and I heard that it is a lifetime service free filter. Owners manual was very little help. Anyone have a solid response?

RonJ

Banned
Have you looked in your Owner's manual? You'll surely find some guidance there.

firejackal

5+ Year Member
Why not let them change the transmission oil, not like they are going to hurt it on purpose? Also I believe most people in here don't have that new of Hondas and I'm sure the procedures changed with the year of car.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jermee

Registered VIP
At work we change all our fleet vehicles (cop cars and such) transmission fluid every 30k miles (all ATF) . I'd say at least change your mtf every 50k miles.

Sent from your moms house.

Northwoodshyun

I've got 35k miles on my 2012 Civic and the dealership wants to change my transmission fluid. After doing a little research, I've heard it all. Some say to never change it, as it doesn't break down like regular oil. Some say to change it every 10k miles. I also heard there is no filter, and I heard that it is a lifetime service free filter. Owners manual was very little help. Anyone have a solid response?
On Honda AT, I have been doing drain and fill every 20k miles (every 3 oil changes since I change my oil every 7000 miles). Civic only takes 3 QTs ($25) and it is a very easy job when you have that aluminum plate off. I did 3X drain and fill after 60k miles but the fluid looked way too dark and I don't like taking a chance on Honda transmission. I so just change the transmission fluid every 20k-25k when it coincides with an oil change. At the time of transmission fluid change, I also change the engine filter as well.