future plans, i want your imput.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I recently got promoted at my job and am looking foward to making more money. There are a few things I need to take car of before I go buying up new parts and I still need to get the clutch/flywheel intsalled that have been sitting in my trunk. My CEL had been coming on and stayin on for days at a time...the egr code last time i had it checked so i'll eventually have to address that. also my SRS light is on....but hey f**k airbags. then i need to get belt maitenense done...replace all them bitches. i'll replace the pullies at that point to.

but there is where i'm at a cross roads...I have several ideas but i'm so indesisive with where i want to go with the car. I really want to do a swap...but damnit if saving several thousand dollars at a time is totaly beyond me.

Boost maybe....just afraid i'd loose a lot of reliability if i go there.

here's what i'm thinking....Crower stage one cam, Random Technologies catalytic converter...then focus on suspension some more..sway bars, strut tower brace....then exterior...cf hood/trunk/lip then interior...leather, keep it clean.

i know if i focus on one mod at a time i can do it, that's how i've gotten this far. anyway give me your thoughts.

Doug

logoman

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't boost, if thats your daily driver you should just save for the K. If you can pay to boost the right way, you might as well save some more for a swap. It would be worth it down the road.

Me personally, I wouldn't get the cf trunk. If your cars not black, it doesn't look right from the back.

The leather though sounds really nice. You never see civics with just a clean leather interior.

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boost that b***h, the only replacement for displacement.

and youre right, one mod at a time and it'll come along nicely :thumbup:

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take that airbag light seriously theyve been known to deploy prematurely if the sensors are messed up. if i was you i would keep this car as your dd or buy another to make it your dd. engine swaps and turbos take time and that means down time or the car your working on. if your doing it yourself and your inexperienced it will take even longer. if you insist on moding your dd then do boltons. aem intake, dc header, exhuast(you pick), aem underdrive pulleys, ingalls torque limiter, engine reground, cams, if you need more pm me.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No personal experience here, but I've heard from multiple sources that getting a "more freeflowing cat" just isnt worth it in our cars. I hear it makes minimal, if any, gains, and in some instances makes the exhaust smell really bad. Not to mention the possible legal implications.

Just figured i'd give you the heads up on that.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my car has no cat either.. it doesnt smell.. only at high rpm like 6k+

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No personal experience here, but I've heard from multiple sources that getting a "more freeflowing cat" just isnt worth it in our cars. I hear it makes minimal, if any, gains, and in some instances makes the exhaust smell really bad. Not to mention the possible legal implications.

Just figured i'd give you the heads up on that.
That's why I'm going w/ the Random Technologies catalytic converter. it's 50 state legal. I know I'm not going to get huge gains from it but that stock cat is pretty dence, 40% more so than the 6th gen "for better cold start emmisions" I know it will help the i/h/e perform a little better.

Like I said I have some things to fix and a clutch and fly wheel waiting for install. I just got a little excited when I found out I got promoted. I really want to have the cel and srs problems resolved. Then get the clutch/ flywheel installed.

The rest of that post was me thinking aloud pretty much. The pullies and cat will be after that. But from that point I'm still uncertain. A lot of it will have to do with how my paychecks look and how well I can save. I just don't see me dumping the D17. I haven't totally ruled out boost....we'll just have to see. anyway, thanks for your two cents fellas.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah dont give up on the d17.
are you switching out the crank pulley?

logoman

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Jonathan, hey is halo 3 pretty good? That was off subject but yeh, I've been wondering.

logoman

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I heard, come to Albany and play it with me. I've tried to rent it at the video store a few times but its always out. I can't buy it either because if I have like 80 bucks or however much it costs, I want to spend that on my car, haha. Speaking of car, these folks at the dealership are trying to put me in a 02 civic lx but its AT :(. And I want an ex and they said that they'll put a sunroof in it for me....I just can't find a civic around here that I want!!!! :twisted:

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah dont give up on the d17.
are you switching out the crank pulley?
yeah, i feel that honda motors are balanced well enough to handle a lightend crank pully.

as far as the whole job situation goes I was offered something else today.

I work for a cell phone company and I was part time customer service. i was given full time which is considered a promotion. now my manager comes by and ask me if i'm still interested in sales. i say of corse...but it's part time...i thought about it for a few days and I told her that i'd do it. the down side is my hourly wage will go down, but i'll be on commission and if i perform the way i know i will i could make some serious bank. my dm just has to approve managment's decision to place me as a sales consultant.

basically what this means for me is i may have to put my plans on hold. until i see how well i do and how good the commission check is.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From personal experience I didnt like the Random Technologies Cats. I had to replace mine shortly after i got it because of defects (warrenty) then the next one I got was ok for a while then the honey comb in the middle came loose and it rattled. I just got a Magnaflow bolt up one and love it.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah, i feel that honda motors are balanced well enough to handle a lightend crank pully.

as far as the whole job situation goes I was offered something else today.

I work for a cell phone company and I was part time customer service. i was given full time which is considered a promotion. now my manager comes by and ask me if i'm still interested in sales. i say of corse...but it's part time...i thought about it for a few days and I told her that i'd do it. the down side is my hourly wage will go down, but i'll be on commission and if i perform the way i know i will i could make some serious bank. my dm just has to approve managment's decision to place me as a sales consultant.

basically what this means for me is i may have to put my plans on hold. until i see how well i do and how good the commission check is.
how come you dont try to do part time customer service and part time sales.. thats what i would do unless you had to choose one or the other.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the aem pulleys doesnt come with the crank pulley cause they say not to, but i think the unorthdox racing one does.
just wondering if there is much of a gain there

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how come you dont try to do part time customer service and part time sales.. thats what i would do unless you had to choose one or the other.
the company I work for part time is between 30 and 40 hours a week...but anyway i'll keep you guys posted.

as far at the magnaflow cat goes...not a bad idea, i believe it's 50 state legal and a lot cheaper than the random technologies one.

and yes i was going to the the UR Ultra SS pully set. I'll keep you guys posted.