Gas Mileage Question

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not really sure what the problem is??? So about a month ago my car started acting up, and the exhaust would backfire sending a huge cloud of black smoke out the rear, and all power to the car would be lost while I was driving down the road...it stopped doing this, and only did it like 4-5 times within two or three days...but the question is that ever since this happened my gas mileage has dropped from around 33mpg to around 23mpg...any ideas of what could be causing this to happen to me....Thanks....

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bump...forgot to mention, engine is a B16

Aepimp04

5+ Year Member
Id check your spark plugs, see if there coated black....Maybe your not getting enough spark and the fuel is just not getting burnt? Just an idea...i'd start there...let us know...any better details woul help also

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
replaced the spark plugs a few weeks ago, but the main problem for me is the gas, any ideas on why it would have gone down so much???

Aepimp04

5+ Year Member
if your shooing big balls of black smoke, then your not burning allthe fuel that the motor is getting....i still think it may be a spark problem. atleast to why your getting bi black clouds of smoke. gas mielage would go down as ell cuz of all the fuel being dumped in and not burnt.

Aepimp04

5+ Year Member
I dont know man, it just sounds like your not burning all the fuel your car is producing... I see you motorswapped it, what size injectors are you using?

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The ones that were in their were black, but I replaced the plugs and wires only within two weeks ago...I will pull them out later tonight, cause I gotta be at practice by 3:50, but thanks y'all for the help....

Aepimp04

5+ Year Member
yeah well just cuz there black doesnt mean the plugs were bad....it means ur getting way to much fuel and your not burning it

Allmotor_junkie

4 Door Whore YO>
5+ Year Member
check your timing, did you hook up the wires right? you might hav f**ked up the order your wires go. Geting any engine codes?> and what else did you touch?

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Checked the spark plugs and wires, I hooked all of them back up right, and the plugs look good...I am not to sure what ECU...I know the rev limiter is set at 7500 though, how can I find out what type ECU...me and my uncle put the car together, and I never really knew anything about the engine stuff...where would the O2 sensor be, and how would I know if it was putting out a CEL...cause none of my dash lights are coming on or anything??? Note: my uncle has since passed away in the last year causing me not to know much about the engine or where things are...

Allmotor_Junkie...I did not mess with anything else, and how could I check my timing???