GC coils identification

ff4500

5+ Year Member
Picked up these GC coils and shocks for cheap last year and just pulled them out of the box to clean up. Figured that I should identify the shock that I need to replace.

The rears look like stock shocks and the fronts are maybe Tokico blues? Assuming that the GC sleeves are the ones made for every shock other than the Koni yellows, right? Got to replace the coils and shocks that are on the car now and want something decent for the season. Didn't know if I'd be better off cleaning these up and parting with them for a GC/Koni Yellow setup or cleaning them up and getting new shocks to match up.

Pretty sure that when I checked the GC spring numbers last fall, they were 350/300, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
I may know someone that can help. Lemme check really quick

ff4500

5+ Year Member
I should also mention that the sleeves on the black shocks move around, like the shocks are too narrow for the sleeves themselves.

Swerv

I'll be completely honest. I can't even view the picture right now because i'm on school wifi and it blocks certain uploading sites. OGstackadoIIo just told me to check this thread out. As long as you call before 5 pst you should be fine. So you got a little under 3 hours.

And the spring rates you gave should help identify the sleeve, I couldn't see why it would be loose unless the o rings weren't applied or its not perched right.

Swerv

As for shocks, Koni yellows are great, but I may be correct in assuming that those springs/sleeves came off of an Integra/eg, I think they are the same as mine, so that's the same chassis a the eg do you have an eg?

ff4500

5+ Year Member
I'll be completely honest. I can't even view the picture right now because i'm on school wifi and it blocks certain uploading sites. OGstackadoIIo just told me to check this thread out. As long as you call before 5 pst you should be fine. So you got a little under 3 hours.

And the spring rates you gave should help identify the sleeve, I couldn't see why it would be loose unless the o rings weren't applied or its not perched right.
I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm betting that there aren't any O rings on it at all. It was just sitting in the spring perch on the stock shock. If I can find my spanner wrenches, I'll take them apart and take better pictures. I may just call tomorrow.

ff4500

5+ Year Member
As for shocks, Koni yellows are great, but I may be correct in assuming that those springs/sleeves came off of an Integra/eg, I think they are the same as mine, so that's the same chassis a the eg do you have an eg?
And yes, '92 EG hatch.

Swerv

Yea o rings would definitely cause them to move around, and those spring rates are fine, a little on the soft side if you want to go full race. But definately don't go sleeves on OEM struts, go koni of you can afford or tokico if you can't haha. You probably already know that tho. :thumbup:

ff4500

5+ Year Member
K. Got one of the rears apart, the fronts are gonna have the have the bolt cut off, if PB Blaster doesn't work.

Front: (definitely a Tokico blue)

Rear:

No O-rings in sight. Just sitting on the spring perch.

Swerv

The front adjusters look correct, very important to only use those adjuters on Tokicos because of the way the perch "flares out". But, the kit has been installed wrong (at the top, that's why the coils rusted)

The rear part of the kit is wrong, those are not adjusters for the rear of a Honda. I am not sure what they would be for, but are not front or rear of a Civic or Integra. The correct rear adjuster is partially unthreaded and "pokes down" into the spring basket, which makes it stay still just like the front.

The rear is also assembled wrong at the top, like the front.

The good news: It can all be adapted to Konis, but it will be tricky and will require some custom machined parts, but not a big deal.

ff4500

5+ Year Member
The front adjusters look correct, very important to only use those adjuters on Tokicos because of the way the perch "flares out". But, the kit has been installed wrong (at the top, that's why the coils rusted)

The rear part of the kit is wrong, those are not adjusters for the rear of a Honda. I am not sure what they would be for, but are not front or rear of a Civic or Integra. The correct rear adjuster is partially unthreaded and "pokes down" into the spring basket, which makes it stay still just like the front.

The rear is also assembled wrong at the top, like the front.

The good news: It can all be adapted to Konis, but it will be tricky and will require some custom machined parts, but not a big deal.
I'm gonna get these cleaned up and pull my current suspension (GC coils on the front) and compare. I'm wondering if the sleeves that I have pictured here are for the front as well (that are slipped on the back).

It's probably easier to buy new sleeves for both than to try to make these work. We'll see once I've got them sorted.

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
If you are getting new shocks, and decide on Koni Yellows, you can just keep the springs, and order new threaded sleeves/collars from GC. If I remember correctly, its not too expensive. Maybe $150 for all 4? My friend did that not too long ago. I'm not certain though. If you do that, you will have a complete Koni/GC setup.