Good spot to ground amp wire

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
This is going to the ek hatch guys out there. What is a good spot to ground the wire for you amps? By the way my amp is located in my trunk. Let me know guys!

dtgrowl

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is going to the ek hatch guys out there. What is a good spot to ground the wire for you amps? By the way my amp is located in my trunk. Let me know guys!
i have a 00 coupe... when i had an amp in there it was grounded underneath the rear seats... look around under there for a good ground location.

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
yea my ground wire is really short. I bought the scroche brand amp wiring kit from wal-mart which really sucks to ground my wire :(.

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ground wires are not meant to be long. They work best when theyre under a foot long. From what i've heard from the local honda guys in my city, best grounding spot they've come across is the rear seat belt bolt.

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
Yeah, my ground wire is 12 inches I think. But I will try to ground it next to the rear seat belt bolt. My amp is just sitting in the trunk, I didn't mount it to the seat (don't know if its ok to mount it onto the back seat). Thanks alot man =)!!!!!

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you could put it anywhere on bare metal and it will work. its normal to be short because there is less distance for the electricity to travel if there is an accident.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Seat bolt or strut, those are where i've gone before. In my coupe i did it on the roof of my trunk.

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No more than 18", grind off any paint or rust, do not connect to any other electrical components like tail light bolts or something.

devo1104

5+ Year Member
you can mount your amp onto the back of your seat, that is where mine is. also you could mount it to your sub box.

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
Lots of good ideas!! Thanks a lot guys, I've already grounded my amp wire lol! But I have one more thing to add, I want to mount my amp to the back seat. I don't want to mount the amp to the sub box (I'm planning to throw my 12'' sub on the cargo cover). Some people suggest to just drill it through the aluminum part of the seat. I don't think this is a good idea, any chance for giving me better ideas to install it the proper way without damaging any of the rear seat components?

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's no other way to mount it to the seat without throwing some screws in the back. that's the "proper" way to do it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don't want to drill into the seat metal, you can tape some wood strips underneath the metal frame. Remove the material from the seat, temporary tape the wood to the metal frame, reattach the material, then screw the amp to the wood which will cause it to clamp against the metal keeping the amps nice and secure without having to drill into the actual metal.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have mine grounded beneath my rear seats too. Works fine for me.

lifeline89

fart can galour
5+ Year Member
take a wooden board like screw that down to the seat.. you can evan take the fabric off then cover the wood with the fabric then use short screws to the wood. so you dont ground out the amp... wat i did was completly re built the trunk and hid everything in the walls. ground it to the strut bolt for my strut bar. so once the trunk was open all u saw was 2 15' kickers and a ten built in the spare tire gap.

jordan00711

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i had mine theyre are two bolts on each side of the trunk where you can put a trunk reinforcement bar..Its a 18mm bolt so i just took mine out ground off the paint and tightened it back down and i never had a problem

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ground wires are not meant to be long. They work best when theyre under a foot long. From what i've heard from the local honda guys in my city, best grounding spot they've come across is the rear seat belt bolt.
:word:

i put my amp behind my driver side seat on the floor....then put a 6-8 inch 4 guage wire from the amp ground to the closest seat bolt....works great !!