greddy versus custom kit help needed

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 98 ex coupe. i want 13s this summer. long term goals are 12s with built everything. but this summer i will have either a greddy 19t kit with 31v fmic and bov. or t3 .42 .48 jonny race car fmic and bov. and i will have a better clutch and bolts including a headgasket. so which can get me to the 13s easier on a stock motor? which is better suited for the track? i have seen some greddy do bad and hear but not seen some do good. as for managment i want to run the hack for emissions purposes. either that or hondata or emanage. something that i can count on passing. but again my goal this summer is to get as far as i can in the 13s with a stock motor and i know tune is a big role too but i want to get the turbo factor taken care of first so i can get comfortable once and for all and buy it later. i am also looking into the t3 super 60 .48 but afraid of lag. just when does the t3 .42 .48 spool versus the t3 super 60 .48 again please?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
civicsi94 said:
i have a 98 ex coupe. i want 13s this summer. long term goals are 12s with built everything. but this summer i will have either a greddy 19t kit with 31v fmic and bov. or t3 .42 .48 jonny race car fmic and bov. and i will have a better clutch and bolts including a headgasket. so which can get me to the 13s easier on a stock motor? which is better suited for the track? i have seen some greddy do bad and hear but not seen some do good. as for managment i want to run the hack for emissions purposes. either that or hondata or emanage. something that i can count on passing. but again my goal this summer is to get as far as i can in the 13s with a stock motor and i know tune is a big role too but i want to get the turbo factor taken care of first so i can get comfortable once and for all and buy it later. i am also looking into the t3 super 60 .48 but afraid of lag. just when does the t3 .42 .48 spool versus the t3 super 60 .48 again please?
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=14611

read that, that's the modlist of a low 13 second turbo sohc hatch.
he also started out with a greddy kit, but he's had to build it up and he was only able to reach is best of 13.01 on slicks.
he'll get into the 12's this summer no doubt, but it'll take you much more than simply the greddy kit, clutch, and engine management

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
specially considering your coupe is much heavier than his hatch

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a custom kit will be easier to get you to your goal. not to mention it will be cheaper to piece together.

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
but it'll take you much more than simply the greddy kit, clutch, and engine management
which leaves two other options. t3 .42 .48 or t3 super 60 .48. I want the super 60 but afraid of lag. the only reason greddy is a option is because it can pass emissions 100%.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
civicsi94 said:
which leaves two other options. t3 .42 .48 or t3 super 60 .48. I want the super 60 but afraid of lag. the only reason greddy is a option is because it can pass emissions 100%.
personally, i think greddy kits are absolutely perfect for %90 of the people who are boosting for the first time.
it's a foolproof kit, has everything you need, comes with instructions, and has pre-programmed management.
and you can build from it once you learn more about turbo's in general....

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
oh, and like you said.... they're 100% CARB legal....... but we dont have emissions here where i live so i dont have to worry about that :what:

Ravage70

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to hit 13s its all about traction
lsd and slicks +220fwhp should make it

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ravage70 said:
to hit 13s its all about traction
lsd and slicks +220fwhp should make it
huh?? not in all cases.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
personally, i think greddy kits are absolutely perfect for %90 of the people who are boosting for the first time.
it's a foolproof kit, has everything you need, comes with instructions, and has pre-programmed management.
and you can build from it once you learn more about turbo's in general....

it is the ideal kit for the person that cant put their own together.

dude looking for the greddy kit...check ebay there was a guy letting them go for $800. he has a bunch of them too.

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
true but aint tryin to go for anything too shadey ya know. i think i will do more research and start looking for parts and put mine together. just the management that is the real problem. the hack versus emanage. because of emissions here uberdata is out. lol but i def. will look into the t3 super 60 .48

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would go custom or with a drag or revhard kit,,,,greddy is over rated and over priced

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your cat (you will need for inspection) and your exhaust will also be a problem for you if you wanna hit 13's.. :???: to keep it "legal" and hit 13's may take some work.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes they dont understand this 13 seconds doesnt take much.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes but past 12's will take some work.

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
racerx661 said:
i would go custom or with a drag or revhard kit,,,,greddy is over rated and over priced
the 19t is only 1700
SeanMc300 said:
hitting 12's is easy too.
VTEC_Killar said:
yes they dont understand this 13 seconds doesnt take much.
maybe its just the driver just i was so stuck on the greddy kit until i went to the nopi event this past sat. and saw a couple of sohc on greddy kits and couldnt break into the 13s. all running 14s. i was thinking too big like considering a t3/t4 which is too big then thinking too small with t25 or something then i came to the t3 super 60 .48 so is that enough or too much. My main issuse right now is the turbo then fuel management. becuase even pollito from turbod16.com has a t3 .42 .48 on 9psi on still hittin 14s

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the super 60 will get you into the 13's and help you get into the 12's.

the only bad thing right now is the car you are putting it in, its a coupe and it heavier than a hatch, so you will need a little more work. If you are dead set on hitting 13's right away then its gonna take more than 2000 dollars. how much money are you willing to spend...better yet, how much money do you have to spend? Cuz its more than just slapping on a turbo and building your motor... if you have nothing invested in suspension and traction then theres no point to even make more power.

I suggest the following.

Stiffer springs (will help in the case of weight transfer)
BFG drag radials (just two lol)
Light weight 15inch rims (two in the front is fine, no real need for four)
Weight reduction, before you run down the track take out your passenger seat, your rear seat, your spare tire, and all your junk in your car (i.e. cds, clothes, garbage, soda cans...whatever)
Upgraded clutch and lightend flywheel

You can hit 13's with your sohc, but (i know ill get hated on this cuz i used to say the complete opposite) get a b16 or b18 swap. Outfit said motor with an intake, header, exhaust....and possibly some nitrous. There is a guy on Hondaswap who has a b16 and a 75 shot on nitrous...he just hit 12.9 in his EF hatch with bfgs.

Your goal can easily be achieved with a turbo on your sohc. for that set up i suggest:

tubular manifold (or log if you cant find one)
super 60 turbo
JRC front mount ic
3 inch exhaust
tune with uberdata or crome (f hondata)
some dsm or rc 440cc injectors
on your stock sohc, i wouldnt run a 60 at more than 8psi....

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SeanMc300 said:
Your goal can easily be achieved with a turbo on your sohc. for that set up i suggest:

tubular manifold (or log if you cant find one)
super 60 turbo
JRC front mount ic
3 inch exhaust
tune with uberdata or crome (f hondata)
some dsm or rc 440cc injectors
on your stock sohc, i wouldnt run a 60 at more than 8psi....
cool. thanks the only thing different is exhaust cuz i already got one. lol i will have suspension done so that will be taken care of and slicks is all i really gotta worry about. and have u guys hear about http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-garrett.php any comments, look outs or go fors on this site will be appreciated