Grinding noise, spark plug cables question

Hondaman4ever

Hi.

I have a couple of questions about a '98 Civic I recently bought.

First, I think my AC comp. has bad bearings. Sometimes when I start the car it starts making this grinding noise that gradually gets louder and then it gradually disappears to where it's almost non detectable unless you rev up the engine. Is it bad bearings? I'm assuming the comp will eventually completely seize. Right?

The other question. I have these newer spark plugs wires (and also a distributer cap) from a '95 civic I used to have and I'm wondering if they would work on my '98? A local auto part store seems to list the same part numbers for both cars but I'm not too sure as I've seen different numbers on some sites.

Thanks to any one who replies.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
spark plugs yes

As to the AC issues, without hearing this grinding noise in person or pin-pointing where it is coming from then you most likely will not get any help from here.

Why do you think it is AC related, is that where the noise coming from the compressor? Does is start/stop when you turn it off and on?

RonJ

Banned
There's no need to guess. Buy an inexpensive engine stethoscope and pinpoint the noise.

Hondaman4ever

Thanks for the replies, guys. The noise comes and goes without the AC being turned on/off- but my understanding is there's a belt that's always turning something in the compressor. The compressor seems to be working (it kicks when the AC button is pressed and the engine RPM drops a little) but the system needs to be recharged (no cold air). I'm not 100% it is the AC comp but I'm pretty sure it is as the noise seems to be coming from there and also a mechanic that I deal with thinks it is the AC comp.
Anyways, it's not something important right now as it's only the beginning of winter but the noise can get annoying sometimes and I just want to make sure it is the AC comp.

So, spark plugs wires are the same for the two cars?

Thanks again.