gsr in 5th gen, help me understand!

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok Ive been reading up a lot, and I have all this information in my head and I need some help getting everything straight before I put this engine in my car. I have a 94 cx hatch. and just got an obd2 full gsr swap with full harness all the way to the ecu..

I guess what i dont understand is what OBD to run....just for info. will the entire engine and harness plug and play with no added wires (i know it will have an extra sensor or 2 that obd1 cars dont have and throw codes) ?

and to run obd1 i can use the stock CX harness....but which part? from the shock towers back to the ecu? or change all the stock plugs to plugs from the gsr harness and run that? ha im confusing myself, as you can see ive got it all mixed together, please help if you can

Greddy2000Ex

5+ Year Member
What I have understood is, you are going to need the GSR ecu and have everything plug into that. I don't think you will need a harness, that is only for going OBD2 to OBD1. I have heard that its just plug and play with going forward from OBD1 to OBD2.

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Greddy2000Ex said:
What I have understood is, you are going to need the GSR ecu and have everything plug into that. I don't think you will need a harness, that is only for going OBD2 to OBD1. I have heard that its just plug and play with going forward from OBD1 to OBD2.

so with that, your saying to use the stock harness or gsr harness? anyone know what kinda problems its causes to use all gsr parts or is it just stupid to do that? ie, run gsr harness through to the ecu and plug that in and go?

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ill be doing an obd1 gsr swap in my 94 cx soon too so im also gathering as much as possible :lol:

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok heres what i found, come on SOMEONE offer a hand....this is off of FSS tech net (ill post a link to the whole article at the bottom....it says for obd2 into obd1....the gsr obd2 harness is 'backwards compatible' ? im not sure what thats referring to::::::

If you were wondering about using a U.S. OBD2 civic engine wire harness - fuggedaboudit - you cannot use an OBD2 civic wire harness in an OBD1 vehicle because of it's 1-piece design (harness is one piece from the engine through the firewall, all the way to the ecu plugs). OBD1 civic/delsol/integra & OBD2 integra's all use a 2-piece design (harness breaks off at the shock towers) which makes it possible for backwards compatibility.

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/hybrid.92-95.obd2.htm