gsr or b16???

iRoMaNcE

5+ Year Member
NghtHwkBlkEM2 said:
hmm, maybe i thought i saw 190 somewhere not sure, more than a B16 anyways
Hah both of you are mistaken, it's actually 170 at the crank. You were probably thinking of the b18c5 which has 195, but anyhow definately go for the GSR. If you have the money, there is no reason not to get the b18c1 imo.

blaze_civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on your money situation. But if you money is right what I would do is go with the GSR block and put a B16 head on it. A friend has that setup and he said the B16 head flows better fopr boost or something like that. But if you dont have the money I still wouldnt go with the b16 I would just boost the ls. I just feel that B16's are not worth the extra money that you could save if you just got an ls.

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmotorsonline is a great place to buy motors. as far as b16 vs b18c id go b18c route for sure. i have a jdm b16 currently but to get where i wanna go with my n/a project imma need to get a b18c block. even in the hatch i miss the torque that my integra gs-r had. For boost gs-r is great, but ive seen some monster b18b turbos.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
LS and boost it end of story....cheap and easy

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seruy said:
Still don't see what's the diff here? LS has more torque and B18C has more HP. In the end like AC Cobra said "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." Also, how's the VTEC work out here when engine is boosted? LS/B18C1 head will be best choice?
You don't see a diff? Did you even look at that f**king list? Plenty of B16s on that list are making more power than the top LS.
And AC Cobra, whoever the f**k that is, never drove a fwd Honda on the street then. 300hp and 200trq is gonna be faster than 300hp and 270trq. Why? Little thing called traction.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm running a jdm b16 :smileyR: and when I throw the boost to her the more torque you have to more you have to fight traction problems. Rag on my if you will but I only spend $900 on a jdm b16a gen 2 long block. Now in the process of finding a good tranny and I am on my way to sckeerrchhingg down the road. B18c and B16a are my choices of motors to play with for boost. LS is built for 7k redlines taking it past that might cause problems unless you rebuild the motor to handle the higher revs. Oh yeah one other thing that I think is important is OIL SQUIRTTERS which both vtec motors have and the LS doesn't. These little squirtters help shoot oil on the cyclinder walls to keep them from over heating. Thats just my choices though.

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i stand strong and say LS all the way baby.he wants a daily driver.he wants reliable car.like someone said earlier,if gsr and get blown thats tons of money wasted.if LS blow which i doubt,it wouldnt be lots of money wasted.i think a LS would do hes budget and will still kick azz in the streets.people remember that hes on a budget,so give him advice base on that.we all know gsr are expensive.LS are way 2x cheaper.i rather spend good money tunning a good setup turbo,than a bad azz vtec powerplant with a sorry azz turbo setup do to its budget.the keyword here is "buget,reliable, and daily driven".b16 to me is a waste of money.so dont even consider that as a choice.LS all the way. :D

blackedition-hb

5+ Year Member
OH WOW!!! FORUMS ARE ONE HELL OF A THING!!! thank you hardcore racers out there for your help. ive cut my decision down to GSR OR LS??? ive been at the races both illegal and legal and seen, drove and rode shoty in many gsr's and the all gave me a bulge in my pants =) !!! im not to familar with the LS setup though. its seems they have less power initially than the gsr!!! the truth is im not gonna race the hell out of my ride regardless of what motor i drop in there, im just not dumb enuf and rich enuf to buy a new motor on the spot like that, but i do want the option to smash competion every once and a while. so the question remains i need the differences between the ls and the gsr, and whats the average hp/tq after boosting for both engines. also, show give me some sites with feedback on gsr and ls preformance.
keep in mind im not planing to go over 500hp on either motor. DEEGORILLA06 i know u got some good info hommie so let me hear it!!!!!

one last thing - rumor has it that a ls/vtec motor cannot or shouldnt be boosted cuz its meant for all motor, is this true???

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ dude... why did you steal that avatar off chaos? Find another one.

blackedition-hb

5+ Year Member
um... that was off the subject. so stick to it please!!! i dont know who chaos is and i got the avatar from a import website like a year ago so recognized!!!

Seruy

5+ Year Member
blackedition-hb said:
one last thing - rumor has it that a ls/vtec motor cannot or shouldnt be boosted cuz its meant for all motor, is this true???
I was thinking the same thing! If you get the LS block and then put the B18 or B16 head on it do you have the VTEC? Does that (VTEC) help in any way for the boost besides having a better flow?

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
no its made for either boost or n/a...just the block is alot stronger than most blocks out there

DEEGORILLA06

HATERZ NIGHTMARE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well yeah u could do ls/vtec but you really dont need vtec.unless your going for n/a yeah it would be a smart choice cause its very close to a gsr and it will run u alot cheaper than a gsr.but remember that the keyword here is "turbo" so a LS would do.like i said before,I rather buy a LS for cheap which you find alot with very low miles with everything for less than $900 bux and spend the real money on a good turbo setup and most important get it tunned.later when you do that you could start changing parts to make it better like a stroker kit which is basically re-doing your block and take it up a couple of liters to make it a 2.0.thats if you want to boost high and be around 400hp or more.but in the mean while stock block of a LS could boost it 7psi and be around 240hp or more and it would handle it and be realiable..and believe me thats alot of power on a honda.i dont care what anybody say.

blackedition-hb

5+ Year Member
ok but gorrilla man, can u list me a setup of a 240hp+ ls motor setup including what turbo to use and let me know what the initial hp is for a ls motor and a url where i can see one with engine stats please and thank you!!!

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well different cars with same setups will get different hp....if one car has 240whp doesnt mean ur gonna get that 2...depends tune and etc....that car could have less miles or could of been driven differenty....several different things....just a comment tho

needanew1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how come noone has touched on the subject of just because you have higher compression doesnt mean its going to be unreliable. Isnt higher compression better for boost because it will respond better on lower psi? you just have to have a much better tune. If you put 7 psi on an LS it will be more reliable but you wont get as much power as putting 7 psi on a gsr, and with the right tune the gsr will be just as, if not more reliable than the LS. As far as a mods. list goes, u really gotta do your research on that one and choose things to your own preference.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DEEGORILLA06 said:
well like i always say,if your going to boost why get vtec?you really dont need it.gsr is going to run you more than $2500.dont get me wrong its a real powerful powerplant but when your going to boost LS will be a smart choice.and you find them less than $900 with tranny.thats a good powerplant to boost cause of its low compression.and its very reliable if you get it tuned the right way.like i said gsr is good but with a LS youll save lots of money and you could invest on good parts for your turbo.
57Trim on 10 PSI USDM GSR is EASY 300+whp reliably. lets see LS do the ;)

Oh not to mention the GSR has an far stronger bottom end then an LS bottom end.