Guage swap Q's

Asmoran

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello everyone, newbie here =)

I got some questions about swapping out the guage cluster in my 03 DX civic. I want a tach, and instead of getting one of the aftermarket ones, I would rather have a stock one. I was thinking about getting the cluster out of an EX to swap out with, and from what I've read the swap would be pretty simple. Now that you know what I'm going for, here the questions:

1) Supposedly the EX cluster would just plug into the stock harness. But does the DX have a hookup for the tach in that harness (ie will the tach work without seperate wiring)?

2) Am I gonna have problems with the odometer showing the wrong value? I know it's electronic and all, but is the milage stored somewhere in the cluster, or in the main computer? I assume it's just a LCD screen in the cluster, but I would like to know for sure.

3) ummm... I had a 3rd question, but I can't remember it now :D

Anyways, thanks for the help

Asmoran

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anybody?? Come one, I wanna know so I can start looking for a new instrument panel. please???:puppyeyes

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude i say just throw a big ass autometer on there ... 7th gen civics arent exactly common in the junkyards yet, and if the odo is digital like you say, the whole cluster is most likely expensive ... you can find a used autometer on ebay for like $70 or so and i think new ones go for around $100.

Asmoran

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thing is I want to keep it stock looking. I don't want an extra pod mounted anywhere. And since I have the DX, the fuel and temp gauges are in the large left hand opening where the tach should be. Getting an EX cluster would be easier than relocating the fuel and temp gauges.

Anyone know anything about my odometer question?

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tthe miles will reset, so it will be illegal to do, id say get get a apex-i rev metter like me or get a hks turbo timer does the same thing.