H22 or k20

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Dear lord please at least try to form a proper sentence. If h series are so great then why did aftermarket support diminish so rapidly w the arrival or k swaps and not necessarily the same for b series? It's always been the black sheep and if that's how you want to roll then cool but the fact is that k technology superseded both h and b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
because in terms of swapping to a engine with biggest amount of displacement and staying in 4 cylinder category, people had sought after the k24 all tho its not really that much increase in displacement compared to the previously made sohc f23a (97mm stroke crankshaft with 86mm bore)k24 has 99 mm stroke with 87mm cylinder bore. h/f has always been under estimated and have been the under dogs since. But back then it was mostly due to lack of knowledge in these motors and its hidden capabilities. Bisimoto was really the only one who had actually shined the light on these motors. He had built a all motor sohc F22A non vtec Honda insight which actually had put down 420whp many yrs ago running et time as low as 9.0/9.1 at the drag strip.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do agree with you on how impressive k series are, straight h is still get it in tho i'm not knocking on the k. since its only matter of time where b and h are gonna be long gone and out of the picture. The beauty of the h2b is being able to use b series gearing without having to go spend s**t ton of money on a 1 of 1 custom made gears since the stock gearing sucked and that b series actually had good gearings from fractory. I know SFWD takes up a lot of money lol I already had spent some serious amount of cash for my build already and I 'm still not done. A lot of the support for H had diminished over the yrs but that mostly cause most had gone over and started being more focused on catering to k being that number of k swap is increasing rapidly and with that comes with more demands for the aftermarket support.
You do realize that for one, you eluded from a lot of what I pointed out...and secondly that you keep justifying the use of a K instead of backing up your earlier reasoning for using a H/F platform, right?

Simply put, if the H/F platform were so great, it would have the same backing as a B. While the H/F are great in their own right, they are still inferior to both B and K. Since time doesn't go in reverse, investing in a K is a wise choice, as opposed to investing in a platform that has already been brushed aside as far as further advancements go.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bisimoto was really the only one who had actually shined the light on these motors. He had built a all motor sohc F22A non vtec Honda insight which actually had put down 420whp many yrs ago running et time as low as 9.0/9.1 at the drag strip.
place the cost of that insight build and all its details next to (let me give you an advantage) an all motor K in the 400+ range...and you tell me what's the better investment.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You do realize that for one, you eluded from a lot of what I pointed out...and secondly that you keep justifying the use of a K instead of backing up your earlier reasoning for using a H/F platform, right?

Simply put, if the H/F platform were so great, it would have the same backing as a B. While the H/F are great in their own right, they are still inferior to both B and K. Since time doesn't go in reverse, investing in a K is a wise choice, as opposed to investing in a platform that has already been brushed aside as far as further advancements go.
Hahaha I was thinking the same! Every argument she poses to promote the H winds up doing the reverse lol. Besides the fact that mega high dollar builds like bisimotos are completely irrelevant to the op who would most likely be on a realistic budget.like you said time doesn't go in reverse. Investing in an outdated platform now seems silly to me unless your goal is to do a stock swap and little more. New parts are being developed for the k everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In case you didn't know Honda made the k series as a new replacement engine for the H series line up only reason why they stopped producing it in the first place. During that 8 yrs span Honda was in the process of making a newer version, you guessed its the k series. The very first k series engine they made before putting it into full production in to all the cars is the k24.
Firstly, how, and can you verify the first part of your statement?
Did you work for Honda in the late 90's in their production or R&D dept?

In case you didn't know Honda made the k series as a new replacement engine for the H series line up only reason why they stopped producing it in the first place. During that 8 yrs span Honda was in the process of making a newer version, you guessed its the k series. The very first k series engine they made before putting it into full production in to all the cars is the k24. they made the k20 for smaller subcompact cars as it was mandatory for one due to our gov and regulations. I said my previous statement only in a response to your statement and I quote "The H has been out of production for 15 yrs, in that time, how many have been junked and beaten on?", you was trying to make a point in by saying how old its and how long its been out of production and this that and third. FYI h22a type s made 220hp factory and the k20a type r had made the same 220hp from stock. only real difference is price and one uses the older vtec sytem and older technology. That statement is no better then someone telling someone else that the skyline r34 model is completely s**t and not worth having or modifying over the newer skyline R35 and that its also would be cheaper to modify then the older r34..... you can see how dumb and ignorant that statement sounds like........
Your arguments holds 0 water.
The H is older, has been out of production for quite awhile, are far fewer around since they were used in the Accord and Prelude platforms, so in that time, many have been beaten on, put to rest, & support has dwindled. I don't care what Bisi has done, it's like your name dropping to sound important.
This is now, fact of the matter is, the K makes more sense, again, in the long run. I'm not saying the H is junk, but times change.
You may pay a bit more for a K swap, but with the support for them and as many platforms as they use them in, parts will not be an issue, nor sourcing good running examples.

Last edited:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
place the cost of that insight build and all its details next to (let me give you an advantage) an all motor K in the 400+ range...and you tell me what's the better investment.
this portion of the investment will be more dependent on the op and on what he feels would better suited to his budget. but setting aside all that and looking at it in terms of cost and the amount of modification and what kind of power they'll net you they are the same, cost.. one is abit more expansive then the other. It really comes down to what the op really prefers. if someone is having a hard time deciding between the 2 he/she would need to know both cons and pros of both items so it makes it easier for you to decide what you want to do. you know your k stuff I know the h stuff give both equal amount pros and cons of both swaps. then after that its up to the op to pick other wise its just more of a biased opinion.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Firstly, how, and can you verify the first part of your statement?
Did you work for Honda in the late 90's in their production or R&D dept?
I believe it was briefly covered in one of the interview with the founder/president of spoon sport in japan since he actually have close ties with Honda racing division and have done a lot of collaboration with them for very long time now.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
give both equal amount pros and cons of both swaps. then after that its up to the op to pick other wise its just more of a biased opinion.
Fact is, there isn't an EQUAL amount of pros and cons. The older platform has far more cons. The biggest and best argument anyone has ever had against a K is...price. The last time I checked, nothing has gotten cheaper as things progress and that stems well beyond just the automotive world.