H22A vs B18C5 WTF???

100Percen%

The Random One
5+ Year Member
So looking at these specs (http://www.streettuners.com/curve/engine/engine_specs.html#integra) comparing the most powerful H22A (99-01 H22A2 5G - BB6 2157 10.0 : 1 200 @
7000 rpm 156 lb/ft@
5250 rpm USA/97 + type S H22A 5G - BB 2157 11.0 : 1 220 @
7200 rpm 163 lb/ft @
6500 rpm Japan) and the most powerful B18C5 (97-98
2000 type R B18C5 3G - DC 1797 10.6 : 1 195 @
8000 rpm 130 lb/ft @
7500 rpm USA/95-00 type R B18C5 3G - DC 1797 11.0 : 1 197 @
8000 rpm 134 lb/ft @
7500 rpm Japan) and comparing prices for available swap packages for the two, why is the integra motor so great and so popular anyway? i'm not here to bash the b-series fans or hype up the h-series guys, and please forgive me if this ends up being another pointless, should-have-never-been-created threads with all the bias and stupid argues. i was just wondering about the strengths and weaknesses of the two motors because i was seriously considering a B18C5 swap, but after looking at the numbers (which somehow i had never noticed before now) it seems like the H22A would be so much of a better choice that the B18C5 swap seems pointless. So if i can get some mature posts from some real swap experiences and knowledge to shed some light on a topic that i'm sure is of heavy debate then that would be greatly appreciated. If not and this thread quickly goes to hell in a handbag, mods don't hesitate to close it out. Thanks everyone in advance.

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
H22 and C5s are pretty close from what ive heard (in races that is) but the h22 pulls some... (like a couple cars at the end of the 1/4)

H22 have pretty weak trannys and bseries doesn't.. but you could go h2b for the price (more than likely less) than a c5...

IMO.. I would go h22 > C5 .. but Im an h22 advocate..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ITR motors are WAY overhyped. They're only slightly more powerful than a GSR motor and that's kinda pathetic. They're only overhyped because they're rare.

I'd go with an H22 over a C5 any day of the week.

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i seen both motor run in EGs and they are preaty close but at the end the h22 got him buy a bumper at the top of 4th

Rex_89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think the h22 is faster. Some people pick the C5 because of the better tranny, and the h22 is a lot heavier. Plus I think (not for sure) that you have to do something with the motor mounts on the H22. Like move them over or something right? Correct me if im wrong.

GoDave!

Rex_89 said:
I think the h22 is faster. Some people pick the C5 because of the better tranny, and the h22 is a lot heavier. Plus I think (not for sure) that you have to do something with the motor mounts on the H22. Like move them over or something right? Correct me if im wrong.
The H22A is only 35lbs heavier than a B18....relocation of the battery or dropping P/S or A/C can take care of that. Plus at higher speeds the TQ/WT ratio of the H22A in a lighter Honda is far greater than that of an ITR so the H will eventually pull pretty good up top.

H22A FTW

100Percen%

The Random One
5+ Year Member
GoDave! said:
The H22A is only 35lbs heavier than a B18....relocation of the battery or dropping P/S or A/C can take care of that

H22A FTW
but i want A/C. A/C = good. what's P/S?

OLOCK

Banned
i wouldnt really consider 35 lbs. ALOT heavier. just get a carbon fiber hood and relocate your battery to the back and everything will be fine. mounting the engine is alittle more work but not too bad. i have a h22 so i guess you could say that im more of a h22 fluffer, hahaha.

they do have aluminum sleeves so you cant use forged pistons liek you can with other honda engines and that makes them weak canidates for forced induction or nitrous, they have bad ring lands on the pistons that makes them prone to falling apart and chewing up the aluminum sleeves, and they have this terrible hydraulic tensioner setup for the timing belt that typically goes bad, and usually results in bent valves.

but there are fixes for all of the above problems. first mahle makes pistons that are very strong (used in porsches stock, indy, fia world rally, formula one, etc) and can be used with the aluminum sleeves, and the hydraulic tensioner can be swaped out for a h23 or f22 manual tensioner. just my opinions.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think everyone has overlooked the fact that this is a comparison between a 2.2litre motor and a 1.8litre motor. thats almost like the difference of a whole cylinder which brings up the argument of efficiency. you have a 2.2L making 220hp and a 1.8L making 197hp, both with 11:1 compression. the B18c is far more efficient than the H22a on that aspect. not sure what difference this would make to the consumer, just thought id throw that out there

*EDIT*
i guess what that shows is that the H has a lot more potential to build power through bolt on mods like I/H/E. the b18 is doing almost all it can do so your not going to get much more power out of it

Last edited:

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I seen a b18c5 run 125shot and race gas and it held up and the guy runs it every weekend. They are much stronger motors then the H22. If you want to make a strong H-series do a h23 bottom end with h22 head and it will be built proof.

OLOCK

Banned
DetainedCivic said:
I seen a b18c5 run 125shot and race gas and it held up and the guy runs it every weekend. They are much stronger motors then the H22. If you want to make a strong H-series do a h23 bottom end with h22 head and it will be built proof.

no offense but that might even be worse. the h23 doesnt have the oil squirters that the h22 has. youd be starving the block of the oil it needs especially at the higher revs. otherwise i think it would be great. or you could get a h23vtec from europe but it doesnt rev as high as the h22 because of the lack of the oil squirters.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The H isn't that much heavier than a B18C but it is larger.

If I'm actually going to have to drive the son-of-a b***h, I want A/C. I like P/S but I can honestly live without it. I want A/C. I have the 95 degree rule. anything over 95 and it's windows up, A/C on. Also need A/C when it's 90 degrees and raining or you can't clear your windows.

Good luck getting an A/C compressor on an H22 in a Civic engine compartment.

Also, cable shift is FTL. The vtec B has a much better tranny.

But torque is FTW. Forget that old ricer axiom of how, "...torque makes you slow." That is the most stupid thing ever. Torque is beautiful. Horsepower is just torque measured over time.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
The H isn't that much heavier than a B18C but it is larger.

If I'm actually going to have to drive the son-of-a b***h, I want A/C. I like P/S but I can honestly live without it. I want A/C. I have the 95 degree rule. anything over 95 and it's windows up, A/C on. Also need A/C when it's 90 degrees and raining or you can't clear your windows.

Good luck getting an A/C compressor on an H22 in a Civic engine compartment.

Also, cable shift is FTL. The vtec B has a much better tranny.

But torque is FTW. Forget that old ricer axiom of how, "...torque makes you slow." That is the most stupid thing ever. Torque is beautiful. Horsepower is just torque measured over time.
:word: :word: :word:

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
H22a = speacial motor mounts, and lots of work
B18c5= Plug and pray

GoDave!

DAF said:
H22a = speacial motor mounts, and lots of work
B18c5= Plug and pray