Handgun...

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
yeah obviously a slug in a 12 gauge... or a 30-06 round to the face would be effective.. but not reasonable.. my wife can not reliably shoot a 357 imo... so thats where the 9mm came from.. my only thought now is can she handle a 40 cal.. if so then that really should be my choice... but if i go with a 9mm i wont feel as if im settling.. i will feel that it is the best gun for my situation and criteria... as long as i make the choice on real application... and not some ego mocho having the biggest or baddest.. i feel it will be the right choice.. i guess what it comes down to is biggest cal my wife can handle efficiently ..
That's what I'm sayin man. .45 isn't a hand cannon. That's not my ego talking. My GF hates guns and is RIDICULOUSLY recoil shy, she's shot a .22 and my XD45c. She handled the weapon fine and actually shot better than me that day. I was literally not even considering .45 because I thought it's is probably the best caliber for self defense but the huge recoil makes it not worth it. plus I thought "yeah right, .45 are just for 1911 purists and guys who need to compensate"..... Then I actually fired a .45. I LITERALLY laughed out loud. The recoil was completely manageable. My dad's miniGlock .40 was harder to control. In fact I really won't get another caliber handgun. maybe a nine one day just for shits if I have the extra money.

I'm definitely not some super macho mall ninja type who thinks "wh0a oh n0Ez .45ACP is sooooo bAdaZZZZ!!11!" It's just the most likely to put the BG down with the least amount of shots, while still maintaining controllability.

My advice, take her to a range that has guns you can rent. Try the dif calibers and see what you and she thinks is the best caliber for ya'll. That's how I was sold on the XD. 13+1 rounds of .45 that fit my hand that well... that and the grip safety.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
spook4thecia said:
That's what I'm sayin man. .45 isn't a hand cannon. That's not my ego talking. My GF hates guns and is RIDICULOUSLY recoil shy, she's shot a .22 and my XD45c. She handled the weapon fine and actually shot better than me that day. I was literally not even considering .45 because I thought it's is probably the best caliber for self defense but the huge recoil makes it not worth it. plus I thought "yeah right, .45 are just for 1911 purists and guys who need to compensate"..... Then I actually fired a .45. I LITERALLY laughed out loud. The recoil was completely manageable. My dad's miniGlock .40 was harder to control. In fact I really won't get another caliber handgun. maybe a nine one day just for shits if I have the extra money.

I'm definitely not some super macho mall ninja type who thinks "wh0a oh n0Ez .45ACP is sooooo bAdaZZZZ!!11!" It's just the most likely to put the BG down with the least amount of shots, while still maintaining controllability.

My advice, take her to a range that has guns you can rent. Try the dif calibers and see what you and she thinks is the best caliber for ya'll. That's how I was sold on the XD. 13+1 rounds of .45 that fit my hand that well... that and the grip safety.

You ever shot a 45 gap? And I agree the 45 acp isn't bad at all!

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
yeah obviously a slug in a 12 gauge... or a 30-06 round to the face would be effective.. but not reasonable.. my wife can not reliably shoot a 357 imo... so thats where the 9mm came from.. my only thought now is can she handle a 40 cal.. if so then that really should be my choice... but if i go with a 9mm i wont feel as if im settling.. i will feel that it is the best gun for my situation and criteria... as long as i make the choice on real application... and not some ego mocho having the biggest or baddest.. i feel it will be the right choice.. i guess what it comes down to is biggest cal my wife can handle efficiently ..

Most women I have instructed don't like the glock in 40 s&w cause it tends to sting their hands a little and they end up going with a 9mm. if she has no problems with a 40 s&w then go that route (that will kill em' dead too)! :lol:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I qualified expert with the M1911A1. After the Army, my Guard unit was still using the .45. They were so old that much of the matte finish was worn off. They were mostly silver. It fired just fine. Less recoil than my .38 Special. Some of the .45s would only kick the shell casing about halfway out and jam closed on the empty. Mine worked fine though. Pretty impressive for a firearm that old and used that many times.

I also qualified expert with the M9 (Beretta) during OSUT.

The only clear advantage I saw for the M9 was that I could disassemble and reassemble it in well under 30 seconds. Can't say the same for the .45. I don't believe that any of the Berettas are going to make 50+ years of service though. :lol:

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I personally love my Glock 19 as both a range gun ($170 for 1000 TMJs) and as a carry. It is small enough to disappear into the small of my back but large enough to fill my huge mitts. As for the safety concerns, "OFF TARGET, OFF TRIGGER". I have looked at the safety triggers too, but I just don't feel like I'm going to shoot myself. I practice drawing with my finger out on the frame and now i do that as a habit. I have a friend that gas been carrying a G19 for 11 years and has never had a problem.

The gun never jams, is easy to clean, has no crap sticking out to slow draws, and you can pick one up for about $450. I was going to pick up a Sig 229 for $1,000 but then I looked at my battered cell phone and decided that was a bad idea.

That's my 2 cents.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just be sure to duck the hot shells!

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Growing up, my family never owned any guns and didn't feel the need for one. I personally own a .45 as of Oct. 2004. I tested mine out at a shooting range in Florida a few times before I decided to purchase it. Sadly it wasn't for pretection of myself but if my car was ever tampered with near my home. I haven't shot it off in over a year at a shooting range in the Chicagoland area. I'm comfortable with it. I had went to a shooting range in North Carolina with my cousins that came down from Brooklyn, NY in December and shot off a various amount of guns. To my satisfaction, I liked the .40 cal. Can't say I shot well due to it being a lil too powerfull for me. But it is a good experience. I also agree and encourage you to take the wifey to a range.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the only gun that i keep at home is a phoenix arms hp22 even though i have a HUGE selection of hand guns to choose from at my disposal at any time

people have some idea in their head that in order protect themselves or their home, they need the biggest gun that their arms can possibly support with enough capacity to sink a cruise liner, which is asinine to say the least. Truth is, If you cant stop them with a .22, then all a larger gun is going to do is make more noise while you're not stopping them.

also, even though i own a glock i would not recommend it. On top of everything allready mentioned, personally, I just HATE the way they feel when they fire
if you must have a larger caliber hand gun, i'd recommend the springfield armory commander 45.
I bought one and added a crimson trace laser grip.... it's a blast at the range
the SA XD is also a nice gun

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
the only gun that i keep at home is a phoenix arms hp22 even though i have a HUGE selection of hand guns to choose from at my disposal at any time

people have some idea in their head that in order protect themselves or their home, they need the biggest gun that their arms can possibly support with enough capacity to sink a cruise liner, which is asinine to say the least. Truth is, If you cant stop them with a .22, then all a larger gun is going to do is make more noise while you're not stopping them.

also, even though i own a glock i would not recommend it. On top of everything allready mentioned, personally, I just HATE the way they feel when they fire
if you must have a larger caliber hand gun, i'd recommend the springfield armory commander 45.
I bought one and added a crimson trace laser grip.... it's a blast at the range
the SA XD is also a nice gun

Shot placement is critical and far more important then using a handcannon for self defense however I totally disagree with you on the part about using a 22 for home defense! While it is defiantly better then nothing it definitely wouldn't be my first choice not by a long shot!

That is unless it's one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y

For a 22 to be effective you would have to basically get a head shot or hit em' upper mass with twenty rounds and while that may be quite easy @ the target range it's a whole other story when someone is shooting back.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
See, and I love the way a Glock feels. More proof that you need to go to a range and rent one of everything.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
MR99si said:
For a 22 to be effective you would have to basically get a head shot or hit em' upper mass with twenty rounds

right there.... alll that stuff i just quoted, that's all b.s.

it is a common misconception though....

and i do have a hundred round semi auto .22 pistol :thumbs up

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
right there.... alll that stuff i just quoted, that's all b.s.

it is a common misconception though....
Well this just shows me how very little you know about firearms, relying on a round that has 95ft lbs of energy for a self defense round has got to be the most asinine thing I've heard in a while! Do me a favor and contact every self defense site you can find online and also ask any and every cop you come across in regards to this and they will more or less laugh. 22's are more suited for women that cannot handle a larger caliber handguns & beginners! BTW since the 22 is so effective and such a great choice why are there zero police dept's that issue them to officers?

22lr is considered to light of a caliber to be effective on 10lb coyotes, and you think they are adequate for a 225lb man LOL!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
MR99si said:
Well this just shows me how very little you know about firearms, relying on a round that has 95ft lbs of energy for a self defense round has got to be the most asinine thing I've heard in a while! Do me a favor and contact every self defense site you can find online and also ask any and every cop you come across in regards to this and they will more or less laugh. 22's are more suited for women that cannot handle a larger caliber handguns! BTW since the 22 is so effective and such a great choice why are there zero police dept's that issue them to officers?

22lr is considered to light of a caliber to be effective on 10lb coyotes, and you think they are adequate for a 225lb man LOL!

unless you are trying to blow off limbs, a .22 is all you need.

untill recently it was the gun of choice for navy seals and it continues to be a favorite of hitmen the world over :mrgreen:

again, if you cant stop someone with a .22, you wont stop them with a larger hand gun....

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
unless you are trying to blow off limbs, a .22 is all you need.

Blow limbs off, 380,9mm,40,45 ect. don't blow limbs off do they?

untill recently it was the gun of choice for navy seals and it continues to be a favorite of hitmen the world over :mrgreen:

LMAO straight from wikipedia! Standard issue sidearm for a seal is a 9mm sig sauer not a 22 long rifle. :lol: I can see it now seals attacking al qaeda with 22's LMAO!

again, if you cant stop someone with a .22, you wont stop them with a larger hand gun....

If I shoot you center mass with a single 22 round are you gonna fall over dead doubtful, if I shoot you center mass with a 10mm glock thats loaded with hydro shocks are you gonna fall over dead........more then likely! Sure a 22 will kill someone but the shot has to be precise or your just gonna piss em' off! A short barreled 22lr has aprox. two and a half to three times the muzzle energy of a 22 cal pellet gun, not exactly adequate stopping power in my book!

Like I said ask some cops and instructor about a 22 LR and they will tell you it's a poor choice. You get into a shootout and your gonna wish you had something a little bigger then that pee shooter!!!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
a) i dont use wikipedia

b) like i said, untill recently it was the main sidearm for navy seals. like it or not it's still the truth

c) if you think that all a .22 will do is "piss someone off" then you are sorely mistaken

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
and just for shits, i snapped a pic of the piece i keep in the safe at work

the crimson trace grip is a fun addition

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what is a good glock for around $400-500? For the none experienced, but want the best bang for the buck. did the thread come to that conclusion yet?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
.22 is a weak caliber, but I'm sure if you shot someone with it they wouldn't be like, "Hmm, is there a mosquito in here?" and keep running at you, unless they are the incredible hulk or something. 2 or 3 shots with a .22 will at the very least stop someone from attacking you, if not kill them. That being said, I wouldn't have a .22 for home defense, but it would certainly do the job.