Handling Problem!

99civicEx908

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My steering wheel feels extremely loose and when I'm driving at highway speeds, the car tends to shake, I feel like i loose handling in the car when I'm above 60 mph. Any ideas?

RonJ

Banned
When did this problem start?

Check the tie rods, ball joints, and struts.

Also have the wheel balance and alignment checked.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Used to get this a lot when i had the jeep, 9 times out of ten it was alignment/balance. check the things ronj said above^^^^^^

99civicEx908

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

That's what I'm figuring as well. I'm about 160k on them I think it's time for a replacement any way. I'm going to start replacing parts to make the suspension better. Should I keep it OEM? I have skunk 2 pro coilovers at the moment.

Sammy D

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

+1

Had the exact same issue with my first eg around 150k, replaced the tie rods and got an alignment, and it was gone instantly.

Last edited:

VileMisanthropy

I had a similar problem, The previous owner removed the power steering and left the lines open, well the steering rack ran dry and the bushings sleeves inside wore out and my rack was loose as hell and my steering wheel would shack like crazy on the highway, I replace the steering rack but this time I closed the lines into a circuit and fulled them with ATF (automatic Transmission fluid) great lubricant and detergent. =) I feels so much smooth almost as if I had power steering again without the running a drive belt off the crank (loosing my precious 5HP. =)