Hard to shift into reverse

awright3331

every now and then ill be trying to back out of a spot but it refuses to go into gear, when it does this i have to clutch three times before it will go into reverse.

babybluecivic

Try throwing it into 5th gear then back into reverse, if that doesn't work then let the clutch out and try again

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it could just be the teeth of the gears not being lined up to let it go into gear. I usually put it in 1st gear and try to roll the car forward a inch or so then try reverse again. happens a lot on my 88.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it could just be the teeth of the gears not being lined up to let it go into gear. I usually put it in 1st gear and try to roll the car forward a inch or so then try reverse again. happens a lot on my 88.
That's what I gotta do on my '00 EM1 a lot of the time when I back out of somewhere lol

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the reason why is because most older cars have spur gears for the reverse gear. they look like this.

sometimes the gear will be aligned so that you cannot get into them. by rolling your car forward a bit it will turn the gear and make it able to engage. it's not a problem it just something that happens with these gears.

most of your forward gears are helical gears and have synchronizers to let u shift smoothly into them

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just put it into second and then into reverse. If you do that it'll go right in

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the reason why is because most older cars have spur gears for the reverse gear. they look like this.

sometimes the gear will be aligned so that you cannot get into them. by rolling your car forward a bit it will turn the gear and make it able to engage. it's not a problem it just something that happens with these gears.

most of your forward gears are helical gears and have synchronizers to let u shift smoothly into them

Just put it into second and then into reverse. If you do that it'll go right in
:thumbs up