Has anyone trimmed the plastic in their wheel well?

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was just wondering if anyone has had to trim the plastic in their wheel well or take it out completely after lowering their car. I have 205/45 tires and they rub the plastic on the inside pretty bad. Are there certain areas of the plastic that I could trim to stop this?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i tore all of mine out back when i had my civic. i would recommend trying to just trim it first though. if u take out the plastic that is behind where the headlight is at it tends to throw dirty and grim all over the headlight and leaks out between the headlight and the bumper. just gets dirty.

but it isn't really needed to have that plastic in there. it's just to keep stuff clean.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just yank it out. I forgot to tighten my driver side one a while back and it tore out while I was getting off the freeway. Hasn't been on in months and it's not any dirtier over there then the other side. But then again I don't really drive through much mud or any snow out here in california so it could be different where you are.

Lopez619

Hector
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When I had my civic, I had to take out both of the front fender liners to keep them from rubbing on the wheels. If you're going to take it off or trim it just make sure you keep it clean and watch out for rust.

kwiks93

I have heated the inner fenders with a heat gun and stretched them to fit up in the well further. It keeps them in there and keeps the road dirt out of the bay and the front of the doors. Easiest way to do it at first is to apply heat where the plastic clips attach to the tabs of the fender and bend the tabs up. After that heat the plastic liner SLOWLY so it dont melt and roll it up into the well further. It takes patience but works great.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have heated the inner fenders with a heat gun and stretched them to fit up in the well further. It keeps them in there and keeps the road dirt out of the bay and the front of the doors. Easiest way to do it at first is to apply heat where the plastic clips attach to the tabs of the fender and bend the tabs up. After that heat the plastic liner SLOWLY so it dont melt and roll it up into the well further. It takes patience but works great.
I would have never thought of this. I'm not sure if it would have worked for me though.

OP-I removed mine entirely b/c I wasn't able to turn my wheel all the way. I gave them to my ex, who cut them in 1/2 and kept the back half on. Apparently it worked for him.

I do get grime and fine gravel in my bay quite a bit now, but the way I keep the car clean it doesn't bother me.

Trekk

Registered VIP
If it wasnt really bad, I used to just drive with them rubbing till the wheel burned its way through. If it was a bad rub I'd just take them out and shoot for rattle can undercoating in the well.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd rather raise my car (if possible) to keep the fender liner in and keep as much crap out as I can, it's there for a reason and serves a purpose.

But I had this problem w/running 17's on my '93 hatch, after which I promptly removed them and went back to my 15" wheels without any rubbing issues.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine were gone completely and it get's the engine bay absolutely filthy, you can do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd rather raise my car (if possible) to keep the fender liner in and keep as much crap out as I can, it's there for a reason and serves a purpose.

But I had this problem w/running 17's on my '93 hatch, after which I promptly removed them and went back to my 15" wheels without any rubbing issues.
I couldn't turn all the way on 17s, and on a 16 I couldn't either. I rub w/ 15s. :cool:

With the new set up I'm getting soon I won't be able to turn well at all unless I'm raised up. That'll only happen when driving though...

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll try the heat gun method first and if that doesn't work I'll probably just let my tires rub the plastic down. I'm not that low so it doesn't rub that bad, unless there are two people in the car. I probably won't take out the plastic if I dont have to...