Head Gasket Replacement 1995 civic lx

krisma

5+ Year Member
What will I need to accomplish a head gasket
change?

First time post,go easy on me....

I did all the normal thread searches and didn't come across an exhaustive list or DIY for this so I'll tell/ask the following:

Car background:
I believe it's a head gasket because I'm losing coolant with no apparent leaks and I have a nice white cloud out of the exhaust when revved up above 2000 rpm. The problem started with an intermittent overheating problem which led me to change out a thermostat per the service manual. While on the test drive the car started overheating so I brought it back and parked it for the day. The following day I started work again and noticed the white cloud. I might have had a failing head gasket or water pump initially which might have caused the whole thing.

My background:
I am not an auto mechanic, but I am a licensed aircraft mechanic of many years. However, I don't have an extensive auto maintenance background (I grew up in a big city and never had a garage to tinker with cars in), my respect goes out to all of you auto mechanics.

Besides tools I have on hand the following:
  • Price quote of $30 to machine the head
  • Set of valve cover gasket/spark plug seals/and grommets
  • 92-95 Civic service manual
  • Civic Haynes manual
I plan to have the following:
  • new water pump
  • new timing belt
  • new head gasket
Any tips, comments, or suggestions you can provide will be appreciated. Things such as prices on parts, any other parts I might need,length of job, shortcuts, things to look during the change, things to look for after the change will help.

Thanks again!

sicksquishey37

5+ Year Member
you need new head bolts for a start, throw out the old ones there useless lol good luck

Civic Chris

5+ Year Member
I recently did a head gasket replacement on the same engine as yours. If you are looking to do the change correctly, I would recommend getting new head bolts.
Be prepared to spend a few bucks on rotted hoses, and a few minor things that you might misplace or break.
You'll need a way to access under the vehicle.

Excluding what you already have:
* Head gasket (possibly the exhaust and intake manifold gaskets, check to see their condition)
* Valve cover seals and what not
* Spark plugs
* Coolant
* Oil
* Oil filer
* 15 small\medium sandwich baggies, along with 5 gallon ones, and a sharpie (to label all the parts you take out of the vehicle.)
* A few shop rags (for cleaning purposes.)

I would suggest you take off the cam gear and timing belt at the same time, it's much easier than just the belt.

Take LOTS of pictures. All the hoses on the intake manifold, the back of the intake manifold, under the intake manifold, the thermostat housing, all the hoses in the general area of the thermostat housing.

You need to figure out what caused the head gasket to fail in the first place, our D15B7 head gaskets are known to fail fairly easily, if you ever notice it's about to hit that temperate red line, just shut it off, otherwise you'll be in the same position.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and the girlfriend's bothering me to come over, so I have to part. Message me if you have any issues, I'll be glad to help. I'll check in and try to think of more things later on.

Edit: The sites I used:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-honda-civic-diys-civic-tech-chat/305015-head-gasket-diy-help.html

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=78400&highlight=headd+gasket+replacementy

krisma

5+ Year Member
holy cow Chris.. that's a lot of info. Thanks!!

I read through this all and get back to you.

krisma

5+ Year Member
www.autozone.com, they have a guide on it. I JUST did mine. I am currently doing my timing belt. It is a pain in the neck.
any tips you can provide would be great.

What are you guys using for gasket/seal replacements? Timing belt? Water pump? Thank again.

also what is the cam or crank seal that needs to be replaced?

beater

5+ Year Member
any tips you can provide would be great.

What are you guys using for gasket/seal replacements? Timing belt? Water pump? Thank again.

also what is the cam or crank seal that needs to be replaced?
the cam seal is a small seal on the end of the cam. it's supposed to be rubbery, however, considering the age of the car, it might feel more like plastic. I've done a head gasket change on an 87 mr2 and it was a pain in ASS. make sure you mark off the distributor/rotor position in relation to the head/firewall/radiator/whatever you need to make sure when you put everything back together it's timed right. that's a big issue when doing head gasket changes. i did mine following the hayne's manual. it was pretty good but it wasn't the greatest. also, like it's been said, take pictures/label all of the vacuum hoses and the plugs from the wire harness. you're also going to need some engine lube. they have it at advance auto for 4 bucks. it's a little plastic bottle with red lube. make sure you lube up the cam. also, don't leave the block exposed too long. when you take the head off try to put it back on relatively soon, you don't want crap getting into the cylinders. torque wrench. don't know if you mentioned one, but you'll need one for the head bolts and cam bolts.

krisma

5+ Year Member
:bump:

Where is a good place to buy them? What brands are good and how much should I spend on them?

krisma

5+ Year Member
luis

thanks for the link. pretty awesome write up.

This is an update, the head gasket job is going well except for the breaker barssssss that I broke trying to get the crack pully bolt out (which I did finally).

A question that I have now is: Anyone have a recommendation for motor mounts that I can change out while I'm under there? Nothing in racing price range but not something that has rubber that won't last a year.

Thank again. =)

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can buy Energy Suspension mount inserts (polyurethane) for a decent price.. they are a great upgrade and will save your tranny over time.

krisma

5+ Year Member
You can buy Energy Suspension mount inserts (polyurethane) for a decent price.. they are a great upgrade and will save your tranny over time.

kewl thanks for the quick reply. Know any good sites to get them?

Armoredinred

5+ Year Member
You can get Energy Suspension inserts from autozone for pretty cheap as well as most any auto part retailers.