Head Gasket Replacement

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
In searches I just get symptoms and signs. What I'm looking for is what all do I need to complete a head gasket replacement? I warped my head and have another ready to go in since I picked one up for cheaper than I could remachine my old one. Besides the head gasket is there anything else i need or should do while I'm in there... I was thinking replacing the timing belt would be a good idea, but is there anything else while I have the head off? The car has 153,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

devo1104

5+ Year Member
have the block resurfaced. it could be warped as well. also, i would replace the oil and radiator fluid. finally if you are thinking of boosting possibly, head studs.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your going to be taking it off and replacing the timing belt might as well do the water pump as well

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when they replaced mine they resurfaced the block. Also be sure to use Honda head gasket. while you are add it you may replace the valve cover gasket. also the intake manifold gasket (Mine was pretty bad, mechanic said normally they never have to be replaced, so this is optional).

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as far as the timing belt, it gets replaced evry 90k, so you are not due until 180,000 miles. but if you do replace it definitely replace the water pump, they get replaced together.

stateofjustin

Radiator fluid? really?

Both the head and block should still be checked with a square to make sure they are flat.

The replacement head you picked up, I take it it's a junkyard head with the cams and everything in it already?

devo1104

5+ Year Member
Radiator fluid? really?

Both the head and block should still be checked with a square to make sure they are flat.

The replacement head you picked up, I take it it's a junkyard head with the cams and everything in it already?
i had a friend say he was going to reuse the radiator fluid...and some people have no common sense.

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
Radiator fluid? really?

I bought it from a friend who was going to do a Mini-Me on his DX, everything is clean and shiney and the surface is smooth and flat =)

Also thanks for the tips, I'll be grabbing the other gaskets, timing belt and water pump. Is there anything else I should grab while I have the head off?

stateofjustin

Use something softer than aluminum to scrape carbon off the top of your pistons if there is any, buy new head bolts and follow the factory installation procedure to the letter, your timing belt tensioner/idler probably could use replacement if you have some miles on the car, and usually you would replace the front crank seal and that side cam seal(s) while you had all that stuff off. The other regular belt idler pulley is probably in need of replacement as well, add that to a set of new belts.