Headights do not turn off

qbno

1994 Civic EX and headlights don't turn off. Wife informed me that recently once the brakes were pushed, the headlights would also turn. Last night, we found the battery dead due to lights remaining on with the switch off. I remove both low beam and both high beam fuses and they remained on. In order to shut them off I had to disconnect the battery. Is there an easy fix to this?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved this to the electronics section since this looks to be a wiring issue somewhere. Wish I could help you out man, good luck!

alexbartlett93

1994 Civic EX and headlights don't turn off. Wife informed me that recently once the brakes were pushed, the headlights would also turn. Last night, we found the battery dead due to lights remaining on with the switch off. I remove both low beam and both high beam fuses and they remained on. In order to shut them off I had to disconnect the battery. Is there an easy fix to this?
Look into replacing the relay for the headlights, and also the headlight switch. Otherwise you may have a wiring issue thats allowing the lights to maintain constant power supply. You're saying you got out of the car, and didn't notice the lights were still on? 3800k-4200k (assuming you have standard bulbs) is a noticeable amount of light coming from the front of the car. If its a wire issue get a circuit tester and start chasing wires from the headlights. Let me know how it goes

RonJ

Banned
Look into replacing the relay for the headlights, and also the headlight switch.
The circuit has no relay. And how could the light switch be the problem if the lights remain on when the fuses are removed? Please do your homework before offering advice.

RonJ

Banned
There are at least 2 separate problems. Start here:

1) Check whether the brake light switch on the pedal is stuck on because the rubber stopper broke and fell out.

2) If you remove hood fuse 42 or dash fuse 19, do the headlights turn off?

3) Check whether the rear ground wire (G554) in the trunk is broken or disconnected.

Attachments