Headlights Peeling

Ace92028

Gold Member
So i have these aftermarket headlights and they are starting too peeeeel....so i decided to wet sand them with 320 grit, 1000grit, and 2000grit. So after sanding them good and making them all fogged up looking i than put on rubbing compound. HOWEVER, the rubbing compound doesnt seem to get rid of the foggyness at all...i see tons of small fine cratches everywhere which leaves 0 shine...not sure what to do But here are they BEFORE i sanded them, and what im dealing with right now...

This was before i sanded them

This is what im dealing with

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you using a buffer or doing it by hand?

Ace92028

Gold Member
im doing it by hand, rubbing it like a mofo on a lonly friday night before his parents get home...

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
buy the 3m headlight restore kit which attaches to a drill and use that. pretty sure you use plastic scratch restoring compound and not rubbing compound also

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you need a buffer hommie

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Buffer or a drill using the 3M headlight restore kit.

I have used the 3M kit numerous times and its f**king flawless. Best product around, hands down!

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you are on the right track, after you fine wet sand it you NEED to seal it. there are headlight restoration kits you can buy to finish the process. I have personally used the Crystal View kit and worked great! it looks like a no-name product that comes in a little foil bag... can be found in an auto parts store. I'll try to post pics of the finished product tomorrow.

Ace92028

Gold Member
Ok so i ended up borrowing my brothers buffer tool and it tooks 1000times better. Doing it by hand was not getting it done for me. Headlight doesnt look brand new, but atleast it looks better than a fogged up scratched headlight =)

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so i ended up borrowing my brothers buffer tool and it tooks 1000times better. Doing it by hand was not getting it done for me. Headlight doesnt look brand new, but atleast it looks better than a fogged up scratched headlight =)
if you want it to last you need to seal the lens surface with UV protectant sealer. this comes in liquid or vinyl form

4gnhatch

or u could have after sanding it down spray some clear coat and that works pretty good ive done it several times and never had a problem with them jus my 2 cents

4gnhatch

i used a high temp clear coat paint i did that to my wifes car like 3yrs ago and it sill looks the same