Heating issues with '96 civic - replaced mostly everything

dcannon729

To start off with - I've replaced radiator, tstat, upper/lower hoses, coolant temp. sensor, water pump withing the last few weeks.
A new overflow bottle (threadlocked instead of stock half-turn) is coming in to hopefully seal off some air getting in.
The story- even after replacing everything, it still overheats and spits coolant. The spitting will hopefully be solved by the new bottle, since that is where it looks like it is coming from. Other than the overheating, could it be that i'm losing too much coolant? Or my headgasket is blown?
Thanks

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
To start off with - I've replaced radiator, tstat, upper/lower hoses, coolant temp. sensor, water pump withing the last few weeks.
A new overflow bottle (threadlocked instead of stock half-turn) is coming in to hopefully seal off some air getting in.
The story- even after replacing everything, it still overheats and spits coolant. The spitting will hopefully be solved by the new bottle, since that is where it looks like it is coming from. Other than the overheating, could it be that i'm losing too much coolant? Or my headgasket is blown?
Thanks
seems like your head gasket is started to take a dump on you lol

JamieConway88

I wouldn't think that overheating would cause the car to stall but since u cleaned the cap, replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator I would drive it for a couple of days and if the oil shows up on the radiator cap again then its a blown head gasket

Restotech

Respected
Most likely a blown head gatsket. You don't need to see oil in the coolant. It's the compression stroke forcing air into the coolant system. There are ways to test for this but require specialty tools.