help a bro out..

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
if there's no screws you can probly hit it with a hammer and they'll pop off. thats how mine were. just make sure the calipers are taken off first.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You need to remove the caliper and caliper bracket. Then take a rubber mallet (just in case you don't cause damage to the rotor so it's at least still driveable if you have to take it to a shop) and bang on it. Yours looks pretty rusted so it might take several good hits for it to pop off.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Just keep in mind, the more you pound on the rotor the more stress the wheel bearing is taking. Any time you hit the rotor/hub, you are stressing the entire suspension. Try putting a big pry bar between the hub and rotor(be sure not to bend the ears on the hub), and keep rotating the wheel and prying some more. Although you may even have it off by now lol.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't get it red hot, only heat it enough to get rid of the corrosion holding it stuck, but since everyone thinks this is a bad idea, i just edited it out. I don't wanna give out bad info cuz I'm not a professional with metals...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just keep in mind, the more you pound on the rotor the more stress the wheel bearing is taking. Any time you hit the rotor/hub, you are stressing the entire suspension. This is not to say you are ruining your suspension, but another way to get it off is to heat it with a torch around the hub, and then cool it with water. If you don't have access to a torch, try putting a big pry bar between the hub and rotor(be sure not to bend the ears on the hub), and keep rotating the wheel and prying some more. Although you may even have it off by now lol.
Unless he's using force greater than like 500 lbs per hit, I'm fairly certain he'll be fine. You don't need to pound on the rotors anyways. Several moderate taps should do it.

And cooling with water sounds like a horrible idea. Maybe its just me but rapidly and forcefully cooling metal doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
And cooling with water sounds like a horrible idea. Maybe its just me but rapidly and forcefully cooling metal doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.
competely agree with john, heating it up is one thing but when you rapidly cool it it'll become way more brittle than it's designed to be.

civicspencer

Registered VIP
My rotors looked worse on my at and I just grabbed the rotor and gave it a couple tugs and popped off
But let us know how it went

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
i agree DO NOTforcefully cool with water. From what i know this causes a change in how the metal holds together you may even get a nice crack for doing this.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Yeah I work under a welder rapid cooling definitely not way to go and if hammer doesn't work get a bigger hammer lol.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
competely agree with john, heating it up is one thing but when you rapidly cool it it'll become way more brittle than it's designed to be.
Whats gonna become more brittle? The rotor, hub, or both? I'm curious because I have always done this and no one I know has told me that before.

And btw I edited my previous post cuz everyone said it was a bad idea.

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
heating and rapidly cooling any kind of metal will change the composition of it. i'm guessing since both the hub and rotor both get heated and cooled pretty much at the same time they'll both become more brittle.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
heating and rapidly cooling any kind of metal will change the composition of it. i'm guessing since both the hub and rotor both get heated and cooled pretty much at the same time they'll both become more brittle.
Then thats good to know I guess. I remembered that I work with a guy who knows a really good welder, so I might ask him this weekend.